Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Massive critical errors

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Aemi

Aemi

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 06 November 2011 - 11:20 AM

Sorry ahead of time for the tl;dr but in my experience, knowing more info helps in these kinds of insane cases.

I was browsing a site that my boyfriend recommended to me. Simple enough, but I failed to take into account that he was running Firefox whereas I am running opera. So what was blocked on his computer charged me with a vengeance. I do acknowledge that this is ultimately my fault, as even a moment's thought might have prevented this chaos. I can only assume this is a virus, based on its behavior and sheer annoyance factor.

I am currently running a virus scanner while I'm typing this (I'm in safe mode. only way I can do ANYTHING.) but while it's taking its sweet time, I would like the opinion of someone who knows more than I do on this.

What happened when hell broke loose:

So far from what I can tell, my desktop preferences are all but gone. all my desktop folders are shuffled to default positions on the left and my wallpaper chooses when to work.
Any folders in my start menu are gone. Even running a search for them will often turn up no response.
"System Security 2012" boots up (though I have never even heard of it, let alone installed it) and demands I fix an unearthly amount of critical errors.
Some kind of recovery program boots up demanding I do the same, although it also demands that I buy a full version of it.
While this is going on, I get about 30 pop-ups of disk write failures, and a never ending stream of warning balloons comes up from my task bar alerting me that essentially every program in the universe is corrupted somehow and that I should run my virus scanner. Attempting to run my virus scanner gets a rather amusing reply, as even THAT is listed as corrupt. (Your virus scanner is corrupt and cannot run. Please run your virus scanner. Wha?)
A new set of warning bubbles usually pop up around this point, letting me know that my memory is so low that the computer can no longer find room to write anything to the disk, the disk is spinning too slowly, AND its running too hot. The only one of those I can verify is the heat, as it's slowly roasting a hole through my leg as we speak, despite being propped up to allow maximum air flow. It always runs warm due to the size of the programs I use, but never THIS warm!
An exe I don't recognize consistently tries to make changes to my computer (I no longer remember the name and I'm not willing to reboot into that chaos to find it out again, sorry.) and the permission pop-up for that reappears so fast that I can no longer get to anything but it. I say no, it asks again immediately. No wait time at all.

I can boot into safe mode, but the first time I did so, all my files were still missing. I was worried that the critical errors were real and my computer had just eaten its own hard drive. In a bit of a blind panic I contacted my local go-to techie friend to beg assistance. He granted me a link to this site and to ComboFix, which I let run all night. I'm not sure if it completed properly, since when it hit the reboot phase, the whole system froze and hadn't budged in over 9 hours. But It filled out an error log and I am told I can take said log here. I've posted it as an attachment just to keep the length of the post down, and separate it from my own rambling. If the log is incomplete or inaccurate, I can run the program again.

Upon completing the log, my files are all back... in safe mode at least. Everything looks ok here, but when I go back into the normal boot... the chaos resumes as if I did nothing. So I'm running the scanner for what good it will do.

Attached File  fix log.txt   24.8KB   0 downloads

Edit: Moved topic from Windows 7 to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jacee

Jacee

Bleeping around

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,716 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 06 November 2011 - 11:30 AM

Please follow this guide http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-system-security-2011

MS_MVP.gif
MS MVP Windows-Security 2006-2016
Member of UNITE, the Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

Admin PC Pitstop

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users