Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

App.exe in Task Manager -> Info post

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 RevGAM

RevGAM

• Members
  • 713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:13 AM

I wasn't sure where to put this. I thought about submitting it to the startup list, but I'm not sure it can run at startup so, although there is an "app.exe" in the startup list on BC already, I thought I'd just put it here and let those who are wiser figure out what to do with the info.

If you see "App.exe" in your task manager, it may not always be malware. If you are using the Smartfren SIM (CDMA) card with a USB wifi modem, then App.exe is most likely the Smartfren Connex Ac682 UI (user interface).

This is a telephone service in Indonesia only as far as I know (www.smartfren.com) that includes both Internet and mobile phone services.

If you haven't somehow set the UI to run at startup, and you haven't manually started it from the start menu or an icon on your desktop, etc., but you still find "App.exe" in your task manager processes list, switch to the Applications tab. If you see "Smartfren Connex AC682 UI", then it's a pretty sure bet it's that program instead of a virus. You can confirm this by right-clicking on the "Smartfren Connex AC682 UI" on the application tab and selecting "Go to process", which will move you to the processes tab and highlight the process. If you notice TWO incidences of "App.exe," then the one that "Go to process" doesn't lead you to is suspect.

Another way to check to see if the UI is active is to check the toolbar. If you don't see it listed in the buttons with the other programs, and it isn't shown in the icons of programs running in the background near the clock, and you've already checked the task manager, you should be suspicious.

If you're not a Smartfren user, then this process is suspect.

I hope this info is of value and I apologize if I've incorrectly placed this post.

Glenn

Edited by hamluis, 16 November 2011 - 03:51 PM.
Added emphasis. Moved from All Other Applications to

Namaste, Peace & Love,
Glenn

If I have frustrated you, then I must be a student. If I've imparted information or a skill to you, then I must be a teacher. If I've helped you, then I must be a volunteer. If I've touched your life, then I must be happy!
If you had to choose between saving just your family, or saving 10,000 GOOD people (but not your family), what would you choose?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users