Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PDF FILES - converting to something editable

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kcsummer

kcsummer

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:03 AM

Posted 06 November 2011 - 03:05 AM

Lots of times I download PDF files and then I want to cut and paste from them into other documents but can't do that with it in PDF form. I used to have some kind of free software that was a little "buggie" sometimes but I could convert by submitting it and getting it returned to me as editable word program of some type but I can't find it and nothing seems to work like that. Any suggestions? Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 blake_21

blake_21

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 06 November 2011 - 05:34 AM

Most pdf files are locked (which you can check in settings) if they are ebooks or something like that. Just making it so you cannot freely edit them just to stop any easy plagiarism. There are lots of programs out there that will unlock almost all pdf files unless they are password protected making them freely editable, just do a google search for .pdf file unlocker and take a pick. Hope this helped
msi x58 pro mobo
core i7 920 @ 2.67ghz
12gb corsair ddr3 1333mhz
geforce gtx 295 zotac
1050 watt psu
windows 7 64bit

#3 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:09 PM

Thanks I'll try that - is that the best term to search for 'unlocker" what is a pdf reader what other kinds of pdf programs are there - seems to me there are others and maybe I have been searching for the wrong thing.

#4 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:10 PM

I assume you're not planning to copy a whole book or other such, just a bit of a text from some pdf file. How big a selection could be I don't know, I just use it for few sentences.

Sumatra allows selection of text - just hightlight it, copy, paste to wherever, Notepad usually here
http://blog.kowalczyk.info/software/sumatrapdf/download-free-pdf-viewer.html

Foxit allows copy of text once you enable a little text selection icon
http://www.foxitsoftware.com/Secure_PDF_Reader/

If you need a whole big thing editable - see earlier answers.

#5 md2lgyk

md2lgyk

• Members
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 AM

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:14 AM

Thanks I'll try that - is that the best term to search for 'unlocker" what is a pdf reader what other kinds of pdf programs are there - seems to me there are others and maybe I have been searching for the wrong thing.

I use a free program called, not surprisingly, PDF Unlocker.

#6 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2011 - 01:46 PM

I assume you're not planning to copy a whole book or other such, just a bit of a text from some pdf file. How big a selection could be I don't know, I just use it for few sentences.

Sumatra allows selection of text - just hightlight it, copy, paste to wherever, Notepad usually here
http://blog.kowalczyk.info/software/sumatrapdf/download-free-pdf-viewer.html

Foxit allows copy of text once you enable a little text selection icon
http://www.foxitsoftware.com/Secure_PDF_Reader/

If you need a whole big thing editable - see earlier answers.

You assume correctly - it will be short segments I need to copy - thank you for the two references to try - tremendous help and I appreciate you supplying it :thumbup2:

Saves me a lot of extra work/struggle

#7 tos226

tos226

BleepIN--BleepOUT

• Members
  • 1,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:03 AM

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:12 PM

Great. Good luck.
Both of these are really nice. Once you use them, see how fast and small they are, it'll be bye-bye bloated Adobe reader forever :)

If and when you install Foxit, make sure to read what else wants to install - recently they've been pushing Ask toolbar. Also you may want to look at various security items in Options and turn them all on for safety.

Sumatra doesn't install anything other than the reader.

#8 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:07 AM

Great. Good luck.
Both of these are really nice. Once you use them, see how fast and small they are, it'll be bye-bye bloated Adobe reader forever :)

If and when you install Foxit, make sure to read what else wants to install - recently they've been pushing Ask toolbar. Also you may want to look at various security items in Options and turn them all on for safety.

Sumatra doesn't install anything other than the reader.

Thanks very much for the tips - yes, I have learned the hard way there is almost always something "extra" attached to these pro bono things. Usually not a big deal item but sometimes its very vexing to undo.

I have been inundated with STUFF so have not had time to follow through on this but from what you say I'm most anxious to give it a try, sounds like a real winner, I like when that happens!:thumbup2: Happy Happy Joy Joy!!

Edited by kcsummer, 10 November 2011 - 04:08 AM.

#9 kcsummer

kcsummer
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 434 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2011 - 09:13 PM

Thanks for the new tip. I will give that a try. I have not had too much need the past month or so but that fluctuates and as soon as the need arises I will put this on my list of things to try.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users