Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ping.exe troubles.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 flickdog93

flickdog93

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 06 November 2011 - 12:58 AM

Ok so on my desktop (I'm writing this post on my laptop) I have been having a problem with the ping.exe executable.

It'll start running and take up on average 900,000kb of processing which clogs my pc's processor.

I know ping.exe is Microsoft Certified, and is necessary, but it is being used by some program maliciously and it's annoying as hell!

The strange thing is if I rename the actual ping.exe to say pinger.exe or pinger1.exe I'll see a new ping.exe pop up with the same credentials as if it were a factory installed executable, modified date and all! I don't know what program is causing the trouble and comprehensive virus scans have found only one minor malware program, but that didn't solve anything.

Any help will be appreciated. I wish it was as simple as deleting the malware program manually and that be that.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 06 November 2011 - 02:05 AM

Try pinging in safe mode and see what happens.

#3 biotimp

biotimp

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 06 November 2011 - 05:53 PM

to Cryptodan- I think you misunderstood, because I have the same issue. A hijack program tried to install System Security or some other fake name. MalwareBytes caught it and deleted, but now there is a process that keeps starting in the background that is named "ping.exe" but I didn't issue any ping command. It is some rogue process posing as the (Microsoft) ping.exe, but it grows like crazy and eats up more and more RAM. I've killed it manually numerous times and even disconnected from the net, but it will restart on its own within 5-10 minutes and immediately start chewing up RAM.

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,851 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2011 - 06:07 PM

Hello,

Both of you, a deeper look into the machine is warranted. Please follow the instructions in ==>This Guide<== starting at Step 6. If you cannot complete a step, skip it and continue.

Once the proper logs are created, then make a NEW TOPIC and post it ==>HERE<== Please include a description of your computer issues and what you have done to resolve them.

If you can produce at least some of the logs, then please create the new topic and explain what happens when you try to create the log(s) that you couldn't get. If you cannot produce any of the logs, then still post the topic and explain that you followed the Prep. Guide, were unable to create the logs, and describe what happens when you try to create the logs.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, PLEASE follow Step One so it will report your topic to the team members.

Orange Blossom :cherry:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 flickdog93

flickdog93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:55 PM

The download link for DDS doesn't work.

I can't really do much if I can't even get that.

#6 Blathnat

Blathnat

• Members
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:32 PM

The link works for me. The malware may be interfering, so continue with the instructions in the guide, and if none of them work properly, do as Orange Blossom requested and post the information in the Malware Removal forum.

#7 flickdog93

flickdog93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:26 AM

I've tried the link on my laptop (not infected) and the desktop (infected) and it doesn't do anything. No download ever starts.

#8 flickdog93

flickdog93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2011 - 12:38 AM

I was at least able to download GMER

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users