Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

STOP: 0x0000007B Blue Screen

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 violarachel

violarachel

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:24 PM

I'm getting a blue screen with the following message:

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:
Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive device controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK/ F to check for hard drive corruption, then restart your computer.

Technical Information:
STOP: 0x0000007B (0xBA4C3524, 0xC0000034, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

I'm not able to go back to latest good configuration in Safe Mode or run the CHKDSK/ F, it just goes back to this screen. I have no idea how to proceed, so any help you can offer is very much appreciated!

Thanks!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:53 PM

System manufacturer and model?

FWIW: Even though the suggestion is for chkdsk /f, you should run chkdsk /r (includes chkdsk /f functions).

Louis

#3 violarachel

violarachel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2011 - 11:52 PM

I've got a Dell Optiplex GX620 running Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 2.

Thanks for your help!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,386 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2011 - 06:42 AM

For future reference: http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/opgx620/en/ug/tools00.htm#wp1115087

You have an XP Pro install CD? Do you have the Recocvery Console installed? Have you run the Dell Diagnostics package?

Louis

#5 violarachel

violarachel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:01 AM

I do have the reinstallation CD. I've run the Dell Diagnostics, though when it finished it just quit so is there a report somewhere or does that mean everything checked out? I've run chkdsk from the recovery console which said it repaired some things but no change. Now I've gone and probably messed it up some more. I followed the instructions on this webpage http://webcast.broadcastnewsroom.com/articles/viewarticle.jsp?id=8658-1 and got through most of these steps:
md c:\windows\tmp
copy c:\windows\system32\config\system c:\windows\tmp\system.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\software c:\windows\tmp\software.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\sam c:\windows\tmp\sam.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\security c:\windows\tmp\security.bak
copy c:\windows\system32\config\default c:\windows\tmp\default.bak
delete c:\windows\system32\config\system
delete c:\windows\system32\config\software
delete c:\windows\system32\config\sam
delete c:\windows\system32\config\security
delete c:\windows\system32\config\default
copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system
copy c:\windows\repair\software c:\windows\system32\config\software
copy c:\windows\repair\sam c:\windows\system32\config\sam
copy c:\windows\repair\security c:\windows\system32\config\security
copy c:\windows\repair\default c:\windows\system32\config\default

I was able to do all of this except "copy c:\windows\repair\system c:\windows\system32\config\system It said that "the system could not find the file specified". Now I'm really stuck and it won't even got to the BSOD. It just tells me that \windows\system32\config\system file is missing and run a repair from the system disk which I've done and it didn't work. Ug! HELP!

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,386 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2011 - 12:49 PM

Well...I'm trying to figure out...just why you followed instructions on that webpage...since it doesn't address your issues, IMO.

<<It just tells me that \windows\system32\config\system file is missing...>>

See http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&cs=19&docid=14071&doclang=en&l=en&s=dhs .

Louis

#7 violarachel

violarachel
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:03 PM

Following the directions on the site you linked to above (one step of which is copied below), after entering ren system system.bak, I get the message "the system cannot find the file or directory specified".

Step 2:
At the Recovery Console command prompt, type the following lines, pressing Enter after you type each line: All commands that are to be typed in command prompt are in BLUE color for clarity of the content, and pressing Enter is required for executing each command at the Recovery Console.
cd \ (Enter)
cd windows\system32\config (Enter)
ren system system.bak (Enter)
exit (Enter)

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,386 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:06 PM

I can't help you with Dell instructions...I have no Dell systems.

Perhaps you need to try to contact Dell support...or wait for inputs from others here in the forum.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users