Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Network Connection Icon Disappeared from the System Tray

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Small Lady01

Small Lady01

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:07 PM

I'm not sure when this started I shut down my laptop Monday morning (it was fine) because I knew I was going to be away until Sat. I just restarted my PC and I cannot connect. I thought this was the router so I restarted it. There is no problem with the downstairs computer connecting to the internet. I noticed both my internet connection icons (wired and wireless) were missing from my system tray on my laptop. I cannot find them anywhere. My signal bar is fine and says that I am connected. I ran the network diagnostic with no problems. I checked the notification options to make sure that the icon is not being hidden that is not the problem. Antivirus scanned (no major infections) and malware scanned (no infections).

My wifi printer is not having a problem it stays solid and I checked device manager it says that both cards are working properly.

I did get a error message trying to shutdown but I cannot remember what it said so I tried restarting waiting for it to show itself again it has not so far.

I have never had any problem with this machine so far it is not bogged down with stuff and the clock is still there what is the problem?

I heard that sometimes icons fail to appear because of a timing issue what do I do? I cannot find the icons in the control panel either (network settings or internet options) nothing is shown in either area. Also my "connect to" option has disappeared from the start menu.

Please reply soon.
"When I was kidnapped, my parents snapped into action. They rented out my room."

Woody Allen

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 PM

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:50 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Start/Run...type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter.

Are there any yellow markings evident by any item?

Are the networking devices reflected?

Louis

#3 Small Lady01

Small Lady01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2011 - 01:40 PM

It is a dell Inspiron 1545 running windows XP. Dell wireless 1397 WLan mini card and marvell yukon 88E8040 PCI-E Ethernet controller.

I tried what you asked and there are no yellow markings anywhere even after I expanded all categories.

I can see both items listed

Edited by Small Lady01, 06 November 2011 - 01:41 PM.

"When I was kidnapped, my parents snapped into action. They rented out my room."

Woody Allen

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2011 - 02:20 PM

Try uninstalling the drivers for each networking device.

Run the chkdsk /r command (Start/Run...type chkdsk /r and hit Enter. Type Y in new screen and hit Enter. Reboot.)

After system boots into Windows, reinstall the wired and wireless drivers from either your CD or the Dell website.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 07 November 2011 - 11:48 AM.

#5 Small Lady01

Small Lady01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:58 AM

I tried that and nothing happened. There are still no icons and I cannot connect to the internet. I will try uninstalling the drivers and reinstalling them to see if there is any change. All I did after the chkdsk was install the drivers hoping that a repair could be done from the cd. I ran out of time yesterday so I will try that when I get home from work.

Are there any other options left if this does not work?

Woody Allen

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2011 - 11:50 AM

<<Try uninstalling the drivers for each networking device.>>

This was intended to be the first step...before running the chkdsk /r command.

Louis

#7 Small Lady01

Small Lady01
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:48 PM

Success!!! It was weird once I uninstalled the programs the icons just popped up on their own. I reinstalled the drivers and restarted the PC and then the fire wall kicked in and asked if I trusted the programs and now everything is cool.

I wonder why this happened in the first place. Now I know what to do next time. I'm glad I did not go into the registry like the other sites mentioned.

Thanks.

Woody Allen

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,289 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2011 - 09:00 AM

Nice work on your part, glad you resolved it.

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users