Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Facebook Freeze

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 JohnnyVee

JohnnyVee

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:48 PM

When I log into facebook, it loads, then the page freezes. Wife has same problem. We've been using FB for years with no problems. Can't scroll down. Can't log off. I have to run task manager to stop program. Running IE 8 browser. McAfee virus scanner. No other apps affected. No pop ups. Any ideas?
Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:29 PM

Try Firefox or Google Chrome Browsers first. What Other antivirus is installed on your computers specifically the McAfee software package? Removing or disabling the scanner would also determine the causes.

Tekken

#3 JohnnyVee

JohnnyVee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:34 PM

McAfee is the only antivirus installed. I'll try a different browser and disabling the antivirus to see if that works. Thanks.

#4 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:39 PM

Check your antivirus protection features, Firewall, scanners or real time protection and try disabling except for the antivirus protection. This are usually on paid Mcafee versions. If its the free version, look for Mcafee removal tool available and install another free protection software. Avira, Avast or Microsoft Essential.

Tekken

#5 JohnnyVee

JohnnyVee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2011 - 07:43 PM

Installed Firefox and I'm able to use Facebook as normal when using Firefox. No freeze ups. So what does this mean? Is a problem with IE8 or McAfee? Or is it possibly a virus?

#6 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2011 - 08:08 PM

Check your Mcafee protection features, web scanner or firewall(Windows has its own firewall) and try disabling one most specially the firewall for you many be running two. You could also have IE corrupt add-ons. Go to Start - All Programs - Accessories - System Tools - Internet explorer(no add-ons). What's the result?

Tekken

#7 JohnnyVee

JohnnyVee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2011 - 09:39 PM

Internet Explorer is currently running with addons disabled. I'll try the firewall next. Thanks.

#8 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:08 PM

If addons disabled produces a no freeze, then enable one by your manage addons on Tools menu then close, relaunch IE and facebook until you found the culprit.

Tekken

#9 JohnnyVee

JohnnyVee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 November 2011 - 10:08 PM

Facebook still freezes or hangs my ie8 browser when I log into Facebook with absolutely no add-ons enabled. I'm at a loss. I give up. Do you think this my computer has a virus? Where do I go from here? Thank you for all your help.

#10 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:47 AM

Try resetting IE8. Go to tool Internet options - Advance tab and click Reset.

Tekken

#11 glenndrew

glenndrew

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 January 2012 - 04:14 AM

Hello,

• First, small size of RAM makes computer slow.
  • Secondly, corrupt windows registry causes freezing in computer.
  • The third most important thing that you can do to optimize your Facebook is to optimize your internet connection.
  • So it is recommended you use a system utilities software that provides the feature of internet optimizer.
  • Also remove unwanted add-ons/extensions from your browser.
  • It is also recommended to clean system junk and browsers junk.

The above guidelines allow you to Avoid Facebook Freezing and keep your Windows properly maintained.

I got some help from this article to avoid Facebook Freezes.

Hope it works for you also.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users