Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cursor jiggles by itself even when mouse is unplugged

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ddominique

ddominique

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 05 November 2011 - 07:50 PM

HP Tower running Vista Ultimate. Never had an issue with this PC before. A few days after 11 Windows updates, mouse cursor started jittering drunkenly. It responds to the (wired, optical) mouse, meaning the cursor will move but won't hold still and is impossible to navigate. Navigation must be done via keyboard (difficult and annoying).

Tried mouse in another PC, works fine. Even hooked up a KVM switch to another PC and everything switches fine -- except the mouse. Unplugged the mouse entirely and arrow still dances within a small area on the screen.

Did a system restore to undo the Windows updates. Restored successfully, but no change.

Tried another USB port but nothing. Uninstalled and rebooted. Allowed Windows to find and install mouse -- no good.

The fact that it's NOT the mouse (as it is rock solid in the other PC) makes me wonder what else causes a cursor to move when no pointing device is plugged in? Any thoughts?

I'm brand new here, so if I need to do anything additional, please let me know. Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:53 PM

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:57 PM

What application or software do you use on this involuntary cursor movements?

Tekken

#3 ddominique

ddominique
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2011 - 12:48 PM

I'm not sure I understand the question. This is happening on the desktop of my personal computer running Windows Vista. Other than Windows and Norton, no additional applications are being used when this occurs. Windows boots and immediately, with or without a mouse plugged in, the cursor wiggles erratically. It even jiggles at the login screen when I boot.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2011 - 01:28 PM

I would uninstall the mouse drivers via Device Manager...reboot.

They should reinstall automatically.

Louis

#5 ddominique

ddominique
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2011 - 06:59 PM

I do not know how, but I had a PS2 mouse plugged in, in addition to the USB mouse by mistake. I unplugged it and it fixed the problem. I'm an idiot. I'm beating myself up plenty for this, so no need to chime in unless you feel you must. :)

This matter is closed.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,299 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:59 AM

No problem :), thanks for posting your self-resolution...happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users