Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Run Hijackthis

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 taly

taly

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 29 January 2006 - 05:31 PM

I followed the tutorial up to "unzip", clicking "ok"; when I click "close", it closes but nothing else happens---just my desktop.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 29 January 2006 - 05:50 PM

Hi there.

See if you can use this auto extracter:

Click here to download HJTsetup.exe
Save HJTsetup.exe to your desktop.
  • Double click on the HJTsetup.exe icon on your desktop.
  • By default it will install to C:\Program Files\Hijack This.
  • Continue to click Next in the setup dialogue boxes until you get to the "Select Addition Tasks" dialogue.
  • Put a check by Create a desktop icon then click Next again.
  • Continue to follow the rest of the prompts from there.
  • At the final dialogue box click Finish and it will launch Hijack This.
David

#3 Papakid

Papakid

Guru at being a Newbie

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,637 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2006 - 07:17 PM

Hi taly,

I believe you have already used our self-extractor: HijackThis_sfx.exe. What you need to do now is open the folder that it's in to run it. Are you familiar with using Windows Explorer/My Computer?

Just in case you're not, click on My Computer then click on Local Disk (your hard drive).
You may need to use the scroll bar to find the Program Files folder. Double-click to open that, then inside there should be a HijackThis folder. Your HijackThis.exe will be inside there.

Before you double-click to run it, you can put a shortcut on your desktop so it's more convenient to get to. Right click HijackThis.exe and let the mouse pointer hover on Send to, then choose Desktop (Create Shortcut). If your running Windows 98 or something besides XP, when you right click all you have to do is click Create Shortcut.

Hope that helps. If you've already done what David has asked, you'll still have to find the program in your Program Files folder.

The thing about people

is they change

when they walk away.--Mipso

#4 taly

taly
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2006 - 12:14 PM

Thanks, guys. I finally figured out how to do it. I'm still new to computers (finally got my first cellphone, too) and my brain just gets boggled by all the pathways, terminology, and graphics. Damn you, Bill Gates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users