Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Installing new Graphics Card - What Drivers?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Cartoon Shark

Cartoon Shark

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 05 November 2011 - 05:05 PM

Hello!

I have now in front of me a brand new HIS Radeon HD 4670 IceQ Graphics card. (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161337&nm_mc=AFC-Bleeping&cm_mmc=AFC-Bleeping-_-NA-_-NA-_-NA) I'm finally able to upgrade after years of having an outdated, broken graphics card. :)

I've read the reviews of this card, and many of them complain about getting the wrong drivers. I want to make sure I get the right drivers for this card, as to avoid any problems installing it.

If you could point me in the right direction, that would be great! Thanks. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 05 November 2011 - 05:56 PM

I think they may be referring to wrong drivers with the included disc they get from the manufacturer. The best thing to do is to download the directly from AMD with Radeon cards, or Nvidia for GeForce cards, and ignore the stuff on the disc. Both AMD and Nvidia use a unified driver model where one download package will install the appropriate drivers for cards going back several generations. Currently, Radeon cards are on Catalyst 11.10 and their documentation lists a Radeon 4670 as a supported card.

3939.png

#3 Cartoon Shark

Cartoon Shark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2011 - 06:00 PM

Could you please link me to the page to where I can download the drivers?

#4 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 AM

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:19 PM

Go to AMD.com. On their homepage, there is something called find a driver. Alternatively, go here. Since you are using desktop graphics, select that, select Radeon HD series, then Radeon HD 4xxx, then select your operating system. Doing this should take you to the Catalyst download page. Keep in mind, that before you install your new card, download the new drivers and uninstall the old drivers. Then, remove your old graphics card, install the new card, then power up your PC and install the new drivers.

3939.png

#5 Cartoon Shark

Cartoon Shark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:22 PM

Alright, that should be all then! Thanks for your help. :)

#6 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:55 PM

To create less hassle for finding the drivers, you can download this which will usually detect which graphics you have give you the latest and correct driver.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users