Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

paths and environment variables, I'd like to be good at using them efficiently

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 chromebuster

chromebuster

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 05 November 2011 - 01:30 PM

Hello all,

I am rather curious about the correct way to use environment variables on Windows, and I have some questions regarding what some terms mean. I find it much quicker to get things done via the command line some times, but the big stopper is having to type in really long path names. For instance, I just followed some instructions for an application server I've been looking at and the first thing it asked me to do after extracting and moving the files is to populate the home environment variable at machine level with the relevant files in my case using the SETX program name>file location -M command. What exactly did that do? And then I tried to set an environment variable for the .net framework tool InstallUtil.exe for Windows services since I use it quite often, and I hate having to call the program folder followed by the .net framework location plus the InstallUtil.exe with the service name being installed tacked on the end. That did not work, yet the setting of the first variable did. What is the difference between the two? And also, what is the difference between using the GUI versus using the command line SETX? and when looking at a list of the system variables and user environment variables from the GUI, I find it hard to figure out which each is and what they do. Some clarification would be wonderful. Thanks.

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ray Thompson

Ray Thompson

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:56 PM

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:44 AM

Hello chromebuster,

Recently I've found a nice wiki about environment variables (http://environmentvariables.org/) with their meaning, default values and much more.
Hope you'll find it useful.

- Ray

#3 chromebuster

chromebuster
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 899 posts
  •  
  • Location:the crazy city of Boston, In the North East reaches of New England
  • Local time:02:56 PM

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:34 PM

Thanks for the clarification. Now things make a whole lot of sense now.

The AccessCop Network is just me and my crew. 

Some call me The Queen of Cambridge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users