Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bizarre, Many Legged Infection

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Sadaffairs

Sadaffairs

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:51 AM

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:51 AM

Sorry for the unclear topic, but I'm not exactly sure how to concisely define this infection.

Here's the lowdown:

It's a friends computer, they called me over to resolve the issue, but it has me baffled. Ostensibly, the infection was/is due to a virus called "System Restore". I was unable to access any program icons, or really do anything on the computer, aside from view a blank desktop.

Here's what I've done so far:
  • Installed MalwareBytes, updated it, scanned. This removed ~200 infections (including files labelled System Restore)
  • Issue was still unresolved, so I followed the manual removal instructions of "System Restore".
  • Installed and ran Eusing Free Registry Cleaner.
Doing these things has brought the computer to a state where I can view and access the shortcuts on the desktop, however the links to programs from the START MENU show all of the folders as empty. The internet functions and for most, if not all, purposes the computer is now acceptable condition. BUT, Malwarebytes liveprotection is still detecting malicious outgoing connections. Constantly. Additionally, I cannot view programs in Add/Remove Programs and there are the issues referenced in the following section:

Things I wanted/want to try, but for X reason, I cannot:

• Run MB in safe mode | Cannot boot in safe mode, the system hangs while loading Mup.sys
  • Run ChkDsk (mostly as a resolution to previous issue) | Error when typing Chkdsk in cmd "The type of the file system is RAW. CHKDSK is not available for Raw drives."
  • Run Sophos Anti-Rootkit | Error during scan "Unable to open any local hard drives. Disk scan may not be supported on this version of Windows."

This is on windows XP SP 3

Thanks guys, hope that's enough information.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:40 PM

With the information you have provided I believe you will need help from the malware removal team.
Please make sure that you read the information about getting started first.
Then start a new thread HERE and include or required logs.
Including a link to this thread will be helpful.

Good luck and be patient. Help is on the way!

My Website

p4433470.gif

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click p22001735.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users