Here's the lowdown:
It's a friends computer, they called me over to resolve the issue, but it has me baffled. Ostensibly, the infection was/is due to a virus called "System Restore". I was unable to access any program icons, or really do anything on the computer, aside from view a blank desktop.
Here's what I've done so far:
- Installed MalwareBytes, updated it, scanned. This removed ~200 infections (including files labelled System Restore)
- Issue was still unresolved, so I followed the manual removal instructions of "System Restore".
- Installed and ran Eusing Free Registry Cleaner.
Things I wanted/want to try, but for X reason, I cannot:
- Run MB in safe mode | Cannot boot in safe mode, the system hangs while loading Mup.sys
- Run ChkDsk (mostly as a resolution to previous issue) | Error when typing Chkdsk in cmd "The type of the file system is RAW. CHKDSK is not available for Raw drives."
- Run Sophos Anti-Rootkit | Error during scan "Unable to open any local hard drives. Disk scan may not be supported on this version of Windows."
This is on windows XP SP 3
Thanks guys, hope that's enough information.