Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows XP Pro with hal.dll failure

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CWG21822

CWG21822

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:33 AM

I have a Dell 4600 and a Dell Inspiron 1300. Both are giving the same error message when booting up after the Dell splash screen:

"Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: '<Windows root>\system32\hal.dll' Please re-install a copy of the above file."

Origin of this problem: Requested a well known online computer technician service to remove all traces of their programs from my two computers. Technician was working on both computers at the same time. In the process, the computers were rebooted and both gave the warning listed above. Technician proceeded to instruct via phone to get into the F2 - BIOS to adjust the boot sequence. Technician asked for the REINSTALLATION CD which I didn't realize at the time I did have. Technician did not attempt to instruct about the XP RECOVERY SYSTEM. I tried this on my own later. Actions taken from here on out was only carrier out on the Dimension 4600. I've tried booting with the Reinstall CD but returns same warning. I also have a back-up 3.5 floppy disk with the media name: "Backup.bkf created on 2/10/2008 at 5:34 PM" The disk was wrapped in a paper which contains the description of what is on the disk:

Just some things listed worth mentioning:

Backup (via shadow copy) of "C:"
Backup (via shadow copy) of "System State"
Backup (via shadow copy) of "E:"

I have the Reinstall CD and this Backup disk with original setup, BUT I don't have an idea of how to transfer files to replace the HAL.DLL or the BOOT.INI files. I'm afraid I might reformat the hard drive and loose all files. I surely don't want to do that if there was a simple fix. My last resort would be to go back to the Online Tech.

Any suggestions or online instructions that I haven't crossed yet would certainly be welcome.
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:23 AM

Just a stab in the dark here, but check your BIOS settings for HDD interface. Try reseting to default. If no joy, set it to IDE. If it is set to IDE or IDE is already default, try another option.

:crazy:

#3 Eyesee

Eyesee

Bleepin Teck Shop

• BC Advisor
  • 3,545 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2011 - 10:31 AM

Boot from an original XP CD and follow the directions to start Recovery Console. Then type

Attrib -H -R -S C:\Boot.ini
DEL C:\Boot.ini
BootCfg /Rebuild
Fixboot

Restart your computer.

I think the Dell recovery cd's are close enough to an original that they allow access to the recovery console.
Not totally certain of that though.

Edited by Eyesee, 05 November 2011 - 10:32 AM.

In the beginning there was the command line.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,562 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 05 November 2011 - 11:12 AM

FWIW: Dell's Suggestions

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users