Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My new computer turns on.. then off.. then on again

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 HicEtUbique

HicEtUbique

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:33 PM

Hello everyone.

I'll try to make this brief while not leaving out too much detail.

Very recently I bought a new desktop PC. It is an HP Pavillion p6820. When I first got it and set it up.. Everything was going perfectly fine. The only thing I did (and I'm sure this is what eventually led to my problem) is I tried to see if my old PCI sound card would work its way into the motherboard. Fortunately it did, but unfortunately the sound did not work, so I removed the card and it did work. In the process of that, one of the removable slot things (unaware of the precise terminology) fell somewhere underneath the motherboard. I'm not sure of how I could get it out and I'm not sure if that's what's causing my problem..

Now.. As for what my problem is: basically, when I turn my computer on, it goes on for a split second, does its whole beep thing (which is normal for it from what I've seen), and then shuts off. Although, after about 3 seconds of it turning itself off, the computer turns back on but the monitor picks up nothing. It just flashes as though it's idle. I did try shaking the tower around to try and get the slot thing out, and I didn't break anything I don't think, but I have no idea what's happening. I know the monitor is working because it does turn on and receive signals and everything.. Just not sure of what to do. Even though everything is plugged in, the mouse and keyboard do not come on at any point in time leading me to believe the problem is more serious... So really, I have no idea. I promise to never mess with my computer in such a way again.. That was silly of me..

Can anyone help me out here? What does it sound like I goofed up on?

Thank you for your time and patience. I've done my best to include as much detail as possible.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HicEtUbique

HicEtUbique
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:41 PM

I should also add that even with that slot thing stuck under the motherboard (which is where I believe it got trapped under) the computer still turned on. It was only after a while of me shaking it and trying to get the piece out did the computer stop turning on.

#3 Ken-B

Ken-B

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:31 AM

Hi,

First thing:
You may be voiding any warranty that you have by going inside the case. ( something to check )

The blanking strip ( for want of a better name ) is it still trapped under the m/board?
If it is - it is very likely shorting out a section(s) of the motherboard as all of the soldered connections are there.
Any damage may already be done but DO NOT attempt to switch the computer on again until it has been removed.

If it is trapped underneath the motherboard and your attempts have failed to remove it - you will need to release the screws that hold the m/board in place and it should slide out.

============

does its whole beep thing

This is part of the self-test procedure.
One beep is normal - how many are you getting ?

#4 HicEtUbique

HicEtUbique
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2011 - 03:30 PM

Well.. Good news is I fixed the problem and one of the RAM chips wasn't in properly..

Bad news is after leavin the computer idle for a few hours it went into hibernate and now it won't turn back on..

When I turn the computer on, it turns on but the fan seems to work at full capacity (very loud) and the monitor doesn't turn on and just flashes as though it were idle. The computer won't turn off this way unless I unplug it. I'm not sure what the issue is here.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 05 November 2011 - 03:47 PM

Did you ever get the part that fell behind the motherboard out? If not that is the likely cause of your problem. Loose metal anywhere in a computer is a bad thing. Behind the motherboard is worse.

Does the part look like the attached picture or do you mean the screw?

Either one is a bad thing behind the motherboard.

Edited by rotor123, 05 November 2011 - 03:48 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 HicEtUbique

HicEtUbique
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2011 - 07:08 AM

Did you ever get the part that fell behind the motherboard out? If not that is the likely cause of your problem. Loose metal anywhere in a computer is a bad thing. Behind the motherboard is worse.

Does the part look like the attached picture or do you mean the screw?

Either one is a bad thing behind the motherboard.

Yes, I managed to take the motherboard out and retrieve the piece (and yes it does look like the one in the picture). The computer is now working just fine.

Thank you for your time guys.

#7 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 PM

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:37 PM

Good for you. I'm glad to hear it's all good now.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#8 Ken-B

Ken-B

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 AM

Posted 08 November 2011 - 01:25 PM

The computer is now working just fine.

Good to hear that you are up-and-running again :thumbup2:

0 user(s) are reading this topic