Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse gone haywire with an unintelligent mind of its own

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Kediil

Kediil

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 AM

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:55 PM

Ok. On my laptop because the issue I'm having starts within a few minutes of booting up my desktop. The problem began yesterday evening, I'm not sure what time exactly, but suffice to say my computer was working FINE throughout the day before it started up. I searched for as long as possible yesterday in an attempt to figure out the problem, with no luck.

I disconnected from the internet and ran my programs in safe mode ~ Adaware, Spybot, Malwarebytes, CCleaner ~ disabled any chance of remote access just in case, checked my task manager for unfamiliars, and finished off with a system restore.

Came back to the computer today around noon and everything was fine, figured I got whatever it was for all that none of the programs found any infections. Worked smoothly until approximately 5pm, if that matters, then the problems started right back up, progressively getting worse until I was an inch from putting my head through my monitor.

Yeah, on to the actual going ons.

I'm running Windows 7 Ultimate (genuine). Firefox 3.6.13 .. Let me know if anything else is relevant.

The issue is with my mouse, or pointer to be more precise. I know for a fact this isn't a hardware issue. It's an optical gaming mouse by Wolf King, I've been using it for 2+ years without issue (this thing holds up like nothing I've ever owned!), the problem persists if the mouse is unplugged, and the mouse works fine on another computer (my laptop here).

It starts off gradually, the standard pointer icon turns into a small greyish-white, compact plus sign looking symbol. Then the symbol starts to randomly jump around, just a bit, like if you had something stuck to your optical causing read errors making it jump-stutter across the screen, except for the whole part where I'm not touching the mouse, much less using it.

The jerking gets worse, and theeeen it starts clicking. Left clicking, right clicking, opening things accessible by single click in my taskbar. Somehow opening property windows of random things (nothing important). It manages to hold a click too, selecting text or random sets of things on the desktop, or drawing boxes around the screen, back and forth. On and off throughout these actions, the little plus sign thing gets a thick greyish circle around it (watched it for a few minutes and noticed every now and then the circle would glow a whiteish-blue colour.

The pointer doesn't move smoothly, rather jumping from point to point with no intelligence behind it that I can see. If I try to gain access by using the mouse it sometimes snaps immediately to my guidance and sometimes takes a minute before I gain control. As long as I'm moving the mouse, control usually stays with me but reverts back to stupidity after just a second or two of letting go.

I'm quite certain it's not one of those spoof programs. I've tried the exit commands for them anyhow.
I've also not done anything out of the ordinary. No new websites, I don't click random links, no torrents..

I'm.. not really sure what else to go into. I'm REALLY hoping someone can help me with this before I go nuts from not being able to use my desktop.

EDIT: I know this started up between 5 and 6 pm. Didn't track the exact time it started. However, at promptly, as in on the dot, 10:22 pm, it suddenly went back to normal. No movement. No clicking. Nothing.

What the hell man. >..<

EDIT: Pictures of what the mouse looks like / turns into. I plan to add video if it happens tomorrow as well.
http://s67.photobucket.com/albums/h317/kediil/Computer%20Mouse%20Issue/

Edited by Kediil, 04 November 2011 - 10:50 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:11 AM

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:10 PM

Just as a diagnostic you could open msconfig and disable all items in the startup tab and then click on services tab and put a check next to hide all microsoft servies then disable all those left after hiding microsft services then reboot and if the same problem persist then youve got a problem if your 100% its not a hardware or driver problem.

#3 Kediil

Kediil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:37 PM

Just as a diagnostic you could open msconfig and disable all items in the startup tab and then click on services tab and put a check next to hide all microsoft servies then disable all those left after hiding microsft services then reboot and if the same problem persist then youve got a problem if your 100% its not a hardware or driver problem.

I am 100% positive it's not a hardware issue. I assume not a driver issue since to my knowledge since I've never manually or automatically had drivers installed for this product.

I edited the main post. At exactly 10:22 (local, 9:22 server) the problem stopped, period, the fat lady sang, Elvis left the building and keeled over.

Much as I'd love for this to just be over, I have little doubt this problem will mysteriously start again tomorrow since this is the second day it's happened. So I'll give your suggestion a shot then.

Also, I'm going to be putting in a photo of the pointer. If it does go at it tomorrow I have the video camera at the ready to do a short recording to show what it's doing.

If there's anything else you can think of or suggest I'd very much appreciate it.

#4 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:50 PM

This will give me a better idea of whats going on.

Download CCLEANER the link below:
http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

Just DONT us the registry cleaner function of CCleaner unless you know what you are deleting exactly!!

Then open ccleaner hit the tools button then startup second one down below uninstall then in the bottom right hand corner of ccleaner hit save to text file.Save it to your desktop and post the startup.txt here in your next reply.Also hit start run then type msconfig then hit the services tab then hit put a check mark in hide microsoft services what is listed there,after hiding microsoft services?

#5 Kediil

Kediil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2011 - 01:00 AM

I use CCleaner regularly and don't touch the registry for anything unless I'm positive of what I'm doing, which is rare.

Ok. To save on space, I put stuff into dropbox for you. Tell me if you'd prefer that I put it straight into a post or something. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20235302/startup.txt

Listing of what's in my System Config / Services - Microsoft:

Andrea ADI Filters Service ; BitComet Disk Boost Service ; Creative ALchemy AL6 Licensing Service ; Creative Audio Engine Licensing Service ; Creative Audio Service ; FLEXnet Licensing Service ; FLEXnet Licensing Service 64 ; InstallDriver Table Manager ; LMIGuardianSvc ; LogMeIn Maintenance Service ; LogMeIn ; Nero Update ; NVIDIA Display Driver Service ; SBSD Security Center Service ; Steam Client Service ; NVIDIA Sterioscopic 3D Driver Service ; TomTomHOMEService

I'll check tomorrow during an episode if it happens as well. See if anything changes for some reason.

Edited by Kediil, 05 November 2011 - 01:01 AM.

#6 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2011 - 03:36 PM

I noticed you dont have an antivirus installed complete the task below then reboot your machine.
After the computer restarts then install avast or microsoft security essentials links below
http://download.cnet.com/3001-2239_4-10019223.html?spi=c8a732b8fc3505ac3a6e927ebbbe467b&part=dl-85737
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/security-essentials

Probably wouldnt hurt to do a full scan with updated definitions with either avast or mse depending on which one you install.Considering you dont have an antivirus how long have you ventured the net like this??Note do not install both programs choose one!If it were my machine I would install avast.After installing an antivirus and uninstally spybot can you open ccleaner and hit tools uninstall save to text file copy and paste your uninstall list here please instead of sending it to dropbox please.Also I would like to see a new startup list and which services are now running after completing my instructions.

Hello you can disable these from starting up with windows they can be started at any time by double clicking the icon for the program if need be.
to do that open ccleaner hit tools startup left click on selected item and disable.
Yes HKCU:Run Sidebar C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun (optional)
Yes HKCU:Run Aim "C:\Program Files (x86)\AIM\aim.exe" /d locale=en-US (optional)
Yes HKCU:Run AdobeBridge
Yes HKCU:Run RESTART_STICKY_NOTES C:\Windows\System32\StikyNot.exe
Yes HKCU:Run Skype "C:\Program Files (x86)\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /nosplash /minimized (doesnt need to run at startup)
Yes HKLM:Run QuickTime Task "C:\Program Files (x86)\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
Yes HKLM:Run LogMeIn GUI "C:\Program Files (x86)\LogMeIn\x64\LogMeInSystray.exe" (unless you use Logmein on a daily basis)
Yes Startup User Dropbox.lnk C:\Users\Kediil\AppData\Roaming\Dropbox\bin\Dropbox.exe

Hit start button at lower left hand corner of the screen.Then in the run box type services.msc. Find the service listed below,one at a time. left
click it once you should have the option to either stop the service or restart it , stop the service then right click the selected service select properties then change the startup type to manual then click apply and move on to the next service.Until you have finished all of these listed below.

SBSD Security Center Service (uninstall spybot it is a worthless resource hog)
BitComet Disk Boost Service
Andrea ADI Filters Service
Creative ALchemy AL6 Licensing Service
FLEXnet Licensing Service
InstallDriver Table Manager
LMIGuardianSvc (unless you use logmein on a daily basis)
LogMeIn Maintenance Service (unless you use logmein on a daily basis)
LogMeIn (unless you use logmein on a daily basis)
Nero Update
Steam Client Service
TomTomHOMEService

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users