Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

XP does not recognize Linux 2nd hdd

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 johndepere

johndepere

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:28 PM

Hello, I have installed a 2nd SATA hdd to my computer and am dual booting with XP and pclinuxos and all works well, however I now want to install another linux distro on this drive but Windows does not recognize this second drive. I have seached the net on how to address this issue but there are way to many opinions on what to try. Any suggestions on what would be the best way to go about this would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:04 PM

Windows may see it as a drive partitioned with unrecognizable partitions and fail to show it in My Computer. But it may show the actual drive in the administrative tools (sorry, don't have Windows available to tell you what the actual tool is called).

I'm not sure what Windows seeing or not seeing the device has to do with anything. The BIOS does or you couldn't dual boot, unless you're dual-booting with a single drive. Maybe, if it's not a dual-boot from that second drive, the BIOS doesn't see it either. If the BIOS sees it, any linux installer, therefore, should see it.

Not sure what you're trying to accomplish. Maybe if you were a little clearer about what it is you need it would be easier to explain things or help.

Can a live CD see the drive? Does it show up in the BIOS? Are you sure of your connections?

Edited by stiltskin, 04 November 2011 - 10:07 PM.

#3 johndepere

johndepere
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 78 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2011 - 01:23 AM

stiltskin, Thanks for the repy and I offer my apologies for the crappy post, what I was originally thinking was that if Windows cannot recognize my 2nd hdd how can I install anything to it? After thinking about it for a minute I realized that I am installing the new op system from the live cd (not Windows)which will detect the 2nd hdd and give me the option to install to it. To answer your last question “yes” a live cd does show me the second hdd and "yes" it is in the BIOS but it is not in the Windows -My Computer- list. Thanks again. John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users