Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows System Recovery Virus

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Jumbalow

Jumbalow

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:20 PM

Hey, sorry if my info is a little vague, but I'm pretty ignorant to all this. Started my computer today to find all my desktop icons gone and a fake "system recovery" program telling me I had a variety of "critical errors." I've had viruses like this in the past, so I did what I did those times...rebooted in safe mode, ran rkill, then did a scan with malwarebytes. Malwarebytes removed 3 infected files. I restarted my computer to find that the "system recovery" program was gone, but so was almost every single file on my machine. Looking around online a bit, I noticed that other people who get this virus have similar issues, and that the files and folders are merely blocked or hidden. My external hard drive seems wiped, as I checked it on a clean computer and it was empty. The folders and files that have disappeared seem random...some folders lost a number of files but retained others. I have no start menu or accessory folder or anything...I can enter "my computer," which claims I have the same amount of free space as before the infection, but the vast majority of folders are empty. I still have ms office documents and some video files, and as far as I can tell that's all I have. At this very moment I'm doing a second full scan with malwarebytes, but I expect that won't do the trick. I didn't think to check how IE or firefox behaves, or if I even have them anymore, but will do so after the malwarebytes scan is finished.

So, I guess I'm just looking for some general help. Is it possible that my files were indeed deleted, while the computer thinks I have the same free space as before? Or is it more likely the files are merely hidden? And if they are hidden, does this mean the virus is still in my machine? And lastly, what exactly am I to do about this? Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jumbalow

Jumbalow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 PM

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:58 PM

Well now I feel a little silly...it must drive you guys nuts when people like me come on starting threads without first reading similar threads. I found the "unhide" program and that seems to be all I needed. As far as I can tell, everything's back to normal.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 05 November 2011 - 12:47 AM.
Moved to AII. ~ OB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users