Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stop Error 0x0000008E appears when I shut down Windows

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 ermat_46

ermat_46

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 AM

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:42 PM

Sometimes, when I shut down my computer, a BSOD appears (no error message).
But I get the STOP Error which is 0x0000008E (0xC0000005, 0x84E0651C, 0xC6A07BBC, 0x00000000). I'm using Windows Vista Service Pack 2.
I tried scanning for viruses using Kaspersky, Malwarebytes and Spybot, but didn't detect anything.
I also looked at Device Manager, but Windows didn't detect any problem with any drivers there.
Please help. Thanks.

EDIT: I also looked at C:\Windows\minidump but surprisingly, there are no files there.

EDIT 2: It appears that this error appears randomly (but it is triggered when I shut down my computer). I didn't use any particular applications/install or remove anything. I'm mostly using Firefox, watching videos, playing music, etc. (just using normal applications) In fact, I don't know how this error happens.

I also performed Check Disk and there are no bad sectors or anything.

Edited by ermat_46, 04 November 2011 - 09:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Barbara Lloyd

Barbara Lloyd

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:50 PM

I have had this happen as well. Have NO IDEA what it is, or why its doing it!
"Being the richest man in the cemetery doesn't matter to me. Going to bed at night saying we've done something wonderful, that's what matters to me" --- Steve Jobs

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,540 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 PM

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:06 AM

Let's try this.

Download/install BlueScreenView, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html .

Double-click BlueScreenView.exe file.

When autoscan is done (screen comes up), click Edit/Select All...then File/Save Selected Items.

Save the report as BSOD.txt.

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content and paste it into your next reply.

Louis

#4 ermat_46

ermat_46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2011 - 02:57 PM

Let's try this.

Download/install BlueScreenView, http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.html .

Double-click BlueScreenView.exe file.

When autoscan is done (screen comes up), click Edit/Select All...then File/Save Selected Items.

Save the report as BSOD.txt.

Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all content and paste it into your next reply.

Louis

Nothing appears there. It says that there are 0 Crashes.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,540 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2011 - 04:00 PM

System manufacturer and model?

Take a screenshot of the exact BSOD message...and post it, please. If screenshot is not possible, just copy the entire narrative portion.

Louis

#6 ermat_46

ermat_46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2011 - 04:56 PM

I'm using Acer Aspire 5735. As far as I can recall, there's no BSOD message, just the STOP code. It seems that the BSOD appears randomly (since I'm using the same applications whenever the BSOD appears or not), so I can't exactly reproduce the problem.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,540 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2011 - 07:33 PM

If you use the Windows System Restore function...have you tried to restore to a previous point in time?

If you search for that particular error code...you will see that there are varying causes and no certain fixes without more data.

If it's a Windows shutdown error...then it should happen all the time, IMO, based on my experience with such.

If it's not a shutdown error, then it appears to me that we (at least, I) don't have much info to go on.

Louis

#8 a_cup

a_cup

• Members
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 06 November 2011 - 01:48 AM

Hi ermat46

Not sure if this would apply to your issue

Error message when you try to shut down or to restart a Windows Vista-based portable computer that has Bluetooth devices installed: “Stop: 0x0000008E”

I would also recommend checking your manufacturers site for any updated drivers even if device manager is not reporting a problem

Pauline

#9 ermat_46

ermat_46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2011 - 03:33 PM

If you use the Windows System Restore function...have you tried to restore to a previous point in time?

If you search for that particular error code...you will see that there are varying causes and no certain fixes without more data.

If it's a Windows shutdown error...then it should happen all the time, IMO, based on my experience with such.

If it's not a shutdown error, then it appears to me that we (at least, I) don't have much info to go on.

Louis

I turned off System Restore to save disk space when that happened, thus I have no earlier restore point ;_;. My disk space varies between 900 MB to 2 GB (because the pagefile.sys varies size every time I start my computer).

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,540 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2011 - 05:18 PM

IMO, you clearly do not have sufficient free space on your Windows partition...for Windows to operate adequately.

I would suggest that somewhere between 10-15% of your Windows partition...be available as free space on your Windows partiton.

I suggest moving all video/game files from C: to either another partition or removeable media of some type.

Louis

#11 ermat_46

ermat_46
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:19 AM

IMO, you clearly do not have sufficient free space on your Windows partition...for Windows to operate adequately.

I would suggest that somewhere between 10-15% of your Windows partition...be available as free space on your Windows partiton.

I suggest moving all video/game files from C: to either another partition or removeable media of some type.

Louis

I'll try it. Though I have to wait more than a week to see if this is effective since the interval between the last two BSODs were a week apart.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users