I've been conversing with the owner of an internet radio stream http://126.96.36.199:8104
About three weeks ago, this station began constantly skipping/buffering when listening. I contacted the owner & we've tried me pinging their ISP which gave me the following result:
Target Name: echo1.serverhostingcenter.com
Date/Time: 11/3/2011 9:32:26 PM
1 1 ms 1 ms 1 ms [192.168.1.1]
2 18 ms 18 ms 17 ms cable1-0.ptfdmagb-ar4001.nyroc.rr.com [188.8.131.52]
3 169 ms 192 ms 172 ms gig3-1.pit6500.twalb.com [184.108.40.206]
4 174 ms 206 ms 160 ms rdc-74-76-242-224.alb.northeast.rr.com [220.127.116.11]
5 171 ms 198 ms 184 ms rdc-74-76-241-178.alb.northeast.rr.com [18.104.22.168]
6 170 ms 202 ms 191 ms rdc-74-76-241-193.alb.northeast.rr.com [22.214.171.124]
7 187 ms 221 ms 211 ms [126.96.36.199]
8 187 ms 195 ms 220 ms ae-0-0.pr0.nyc30.tbone.rr.com [188.8.131.52]
9 221 ms 209 ms 226 ms xe-4-2-0.edge2.Newark1.Level3.net [184.108.40.206]
10 225 ms 218 ms 218 ms ae-31-51.ebr1.Newark1.Level3.net [220.127.116.11]
11 215 ms 216 ms 209 ms ae-2-2.ebr1.NewYork1.Level3.net [18.104.22.168]
12 290 ms 216 ms 204 ms ae-7-7.car2.Detroit1.Level3.net [22.214.171.124]
13 268 ms 229 ms 205 ms WAVEFORM-TE.car2.Detroit1.Level3.net [126.96.36.199]
14 249 ms 212 ms 200 ms g2-0.core1.troy2.waveform.net [188.8.131.52]
15 249 ms 200 ms 212 ms g4-1.agr1.troy2.waveform.net [184.108.40.206]
16 255 ms 222 ms 217 ms echo1.serverhostingcenter.com [220.127.116.11]
Ping statistics for echo1.serverhostingcenter.com
Packets: Sent = 3, Received = 3, Lost = 0 (0.0%)
Round Trip Times: Minimum = 217ms, Maximum = 255ms, Average = 231ms
I was told this seemed rather slow & that there might be an issue between servers. But how can this be if I'm using the same ISP on my iPod & iPhone where the station comes in clear as a bell using the FStream app?
I play the station in Winamp & finally stumbled across how to increase the buffering which I've set to 1000kb (way up from the 64kb it was preset at). This has cleared the skipping, but the I get an underrun every 20-25 minutes, and then the station plays clearly again for another 20-25 minutes.
I am not tech savvy at all. I just happened to come across the buffer setting & spotted the underrun amount in Winamp's stats tab in the output section.
This whole problem has happened on more than one laptop (an HP Pavilion dv8000 running XP & a Dell mini Inspiron running Windows 7) & on both Winamp & iTunes (I can't find a place to change the buffer size on iTunes).
This is the ONLY station I'm having problems with. All other audio & video streams perfectly. I bought a Roku 2 HD just the other day & it streams movies perfectly as does my Wii which I've been running NetFlix on for years.
If ANYONE can offer me some insight or even something to add to my workaround of having my iPod plugged into a boom box and/or the increase in buffering I'd be ever so grateful! It's my dad's favorite station & I'd like to clear up any issues that I might actually be capable of.