Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is Fedora Core 1 worth installing or too outdated?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 brian2009

brian2009

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:28 PM

Saw the book (2004) at the library, it included the DVD for installing the Fedora Core 1 version.

I'm not a big fan of the 'For Dummies' books because I hate the way they are formatted, but in this case it seems adequate and is geared for using Fedora. As I know very little about Linux I thought it would be a good way to not only 'book learn' it but also 'hands on' learn it at the same time.

But what I'm wondering, is the version too outdated to bother installing and playing around with?

It got so-so reviews on Amazon but this is the newer 5th addition which supposedly is better than the early ones.

Thanks

Brian

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:01 PM

FC1 probably will not run on modern hardware and will most certainly downgrade the performance of your hardware.

That said, I have used FC2 in a Virtual Machine before. If you're able to download a more recent version like Fedora 15. There are Torrent files (available from the Fedora Project) if you are on a slower connection.

Have fun in Linux!

Posted Image

#3 brian2009

brian2009
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:46 PM

Well, this machine is kind of old anyway. It's a desktop compaq presario and it came with Win ME, which I really don't want to bother with anymore. It's got enough hardware power to run the Fedora OS, but not a tremendous amount more. I've gotten the Bodhi(sp?) distro to run on it but I really don't know what to do with that next. Which is why I like the book to guide me....for now at least.

So...I really don't think it will be a noticeable downgrade in performance for me.

Would a newer version of Fedora be similar enough that I can still use the book to guide me along?

Thanks

ps This is not a computer I actually use for anything anymore.

#4 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:59 PM

Win ME? Core 1 might be about right on hardware of that era. But I wouldn't expect to get software downloads or updates to anything. It's old enough that those won't be available any more.

If all you're doing is learning, Core 1 will do it. Once you know your way around a little, you'll need something newer.

Edited by stiltskin, 04 November 2011 - 08:08 PM.

#5 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 05 November 2011 - 11:15 PM

If the hardware is that old (circa y2k) DSL (Damn Small Linux) would be a good choice to try. FC1 isn't close to modern linux distro's the kernel has changed a good little bit and the GUI's have gone through 2 major revisions at least and the modern ones are much more user friendly.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users