Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2. hard drive not working after virus attack

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 knzi

knzi

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:06 PM

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:27 PM

Last night i was attacked by the "windows system restore" virus (This: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/virus-removal/remove-windows-vista-recovery. After following the mentioned guide I got my "primary" hard drive restored pretty much back to normal with a few exceptions. However my secondary drive containing all my movies and music still doesnt work.

Atm its gotten renamed from I to G somehow, When i try to access it, it tells me:
G:\ is not available/acessible
Discstructure is damaged and can not be read
(Please note that my system is running in danish, so translation might be a bit off)

Unhide have found the drive but stops soon after with the message:
Access denied
It was not possible to create folder - C:\PROGRA~3\Windows\STARTM~1\Programmer

I do not know if this message is related to the hard drive not working atm. but i'm gonna throw in every bit of info i can.

I have tried turning off anti virus programmes and firewalls and running unhide again, but with no further success.

during and a little while after getting rid of the virus, i got a message saying that the attrib.exe file had been damaged. Unfortunately i do not remember exactly what the message said. Also the warning has stopped appearing, so i do not know if this has any relevance to the issue.

At one point i was also told that there couldnt be found any windows on the hard drive i'm having issues with.

It is probably also worth mentioning that the hard drive isn't new, i've been using it for about 5-6 months now. Also I'm running Windows 7.

Dont know what else to say atm. If i get any new error messages or the like I'll update the topic accordingly. I hope theres someone out there with a solution to my problem, or at least who can tell me if my har drive is completely done for atm,.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users