Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD on fresh installation

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 NeonAnderson

NeonAnderson

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:20 AM

Hey guys,

This one is really driving my head in. I just did a fresh install with new hardware on my system, never even crashed once before this.

I have Windows 7 Professional 64 bit with latest updates
I have an Asus P7P55D-E, with an i7 860 and an Nvidia GTX 460 and 8GB DDR3.

The new hardware is two new HDDs. I did not keep my old ones.
1x 120GB OCZ Vertex 3. 1x 2TB Western Digital Caviar Black.

Both are connected through brand new SATA III cables. I have already tried using both different controllers on my mobo to see if that fixes the problem but to no luck. The BIOS should be set up right with ACPI mode for the HDDs.

There is another issue to, my PC refuses to make minidumps. So the best thing I got is a picture of my BSOD I am afraid.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Akashi

Akashi

• Members
  • 301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:19 PM

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:46 PM

You have a 2TB SATA drive, so I wondered if this may be relevant to your problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977178/

#3 NeonAnderson

NeonAnderson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:19 PM

Posted 06 November 2011 - 07:06 PM

You have a 2TB SATA drive, so I wondered if this may be relevant to your problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/977178/

Hmm that could indeed be relevant. On my old system I had 1x 500GB and a 1TB. But I think the 1TB was my main one thus probably never idled. Now on my new system the SSD is my main and the 2TB is my secondary HDD and thus can go into idle.

The BSOD occurs at very different times. But most frequently while the PC is idling. I have had it happen sometimes while playing. Once while playing League of Legends (which was running from my SSD so the 2TB could have gone to idle) and a few times while playing Space Marines (which is on my 2TB). However Space Marines has known BSOD issues so I didn't pay much attention to those and until I had BSOD on LoL. It was the only game that had ever BSOD on me. Up until then it was always when my PC was left to idle.

Anyway I will apply the hotfix. See if I get BSOD. It might take a while before I end up replying again. The BSOD frequency is very unpredictable.

*edit* When trying to run the installer for the hotfix. It says: The update is not applicable for your system. I download the x64 version as I am running Windows 7.

Edited by NeonAnderson, 06 November 2011 - 07:09 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users