Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Redirect Virus, Iexplore.exe spawning, "System Restore" Malware

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 jonebone

jonebone

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:58 AM

Hey guys, I'm hoping someone can help with this issue. It occured Wednesday around 2:00PM and I've been battling it since. At first the "System Restore" malware completely "erased" my desktop and program list, but I was able to beat that using Rkill, and a combo of Malware programs (Malwarebytes, Search & Destroy, etc.)

However, it seems to have left some remnants, such as a Google redirect virus and a iexplorer.exe that keeps spawning continuous (somtimes playing random audio advertisements even). Pretty nasty little bit of code, and seemingly advanced too.

I've tried system restore, nothing will restore. The malware scanners / AVG are not detecting any further viruses. Also used CCleaner to clean cookies / tracking / temp files. The one program that I cannot get to work is the TDSSKiller application. I've tried renaming it, changing the file extension and running from Safe mode, and it simply will not run. I've googled this and apparently several people have had this problem starting around Spring / Summer 2011. So this must be a "newer" virus that is specifically tailored to prevent the rootkit removal tool from running.

Will gladly listen to any and all advice, and it is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gafrmrswife

gafrmrswife

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:04 AM

I'm having the same exact issue. I posted earlier about it and haven't gotten any help yet. I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as you so I definitely need it! I did get the TDSSkiller to run on mine.

#3 jonebone

jonebone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:24 AM

I'm having the same exact issue. I posted earlier about it and haven't gotten any help yet. I'm not nearly as knowledgeable as you so I definitely need it! I did get the TDSSkiller to run on mine.

How did you get yours to run? Renaming and changing the file extension or did it work right away? As far as beating the "System Restore", all I needed to do was Rkill, then Malwarebytes and run an unhide program. But getting rid of the remnants and "undetectable" rootkit is proving to be quite difficult.

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:50 AM

This infection family will also hide all the files on your computer from being seen. To make your files visible again, please download the following program to your desktop:

Unhide.exe

Once the program has been downloaded, double-click on the Unhide.exe icon on your desktop and allow the program to run. This program will remove the +H, or hidden, attribute from all the files on your hard drives. If there are any files that were purposely hidden by you, you will need to hide them again after this tool is run.

TDSSKiller from Command Prompt

Use the following command to scan the PC with a detailed log written into the file report.txt (created in the TDSSKiller.exe utility folder):
Open Command Prompt in XP = click Start >> Run,type cmd
copy and paste this at the flashing cursor and hit Enter

TDSSKiller.exe -l report.txt

OR
Please, try to use attached version of TDSSKiller

tdsskiller.zip
?>?>?>?>?>??>?>?
TDSS ALT

Download the FixTDSS.exe

Save the file to your Windows desktop.
Close all running programs.
If you are running Windows XP, turn off System Restore. How to turn off or turn on Windows XP System Restore
Double-click the FixTDSS.exe file to start the removal tool.
Click Start to begin the process, and then allow the tool to run.
Restart the computer when prompted by the tool.
After the computer has started, the tool will inform you of the state of infection (make sure to let me know what it said)
If you are running Windows XP, re-enable System Restore.

Next run MBAM (MalwareBytes):

Please download Malwarebytes Anti-Malware and save it to your desktop.
Download Link 1
Download Link 2MBAM may "make changes to your registry" as part of its disinfection routine. If using other security programs that detect registry changes (ie Spybot's Teatimer), they may interfere or alert you. Temporarily disable such programs or permit them to allow the changes.
  • Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
  • Double-click on mbam-setup.exe to install the application.
    For instructions with screenshots, please refer to the How to use Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware Guide.
  • When the installation begins, follow the prompts and do not make any changes to default settings.
  • When installation has finished, make sure you leave both of these checked:
    • Update Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
    • Launch Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
  • Then click Finish.
MBAM will automatically start and you will be asked to update the program before performing a scan.
  • If an update is found, the program will automatically update itself. Press the OK button to close that box and continue.
  • If you encounter any problems while downloading the definition updates, manually download them from here and just double-click on mbam-rules.exe to install.
On the Scanner tab:
  • Make sure the "Perform Quick Scan" option is selected.
  • Then click on the Scan button.
  • If asked to select the drives to scan, leave all the drives selected and click on the Start Scan button.
  • The scan will begin and "Scan in progress" will show at the top. It may take some time to complete so please be patient.
  • When the scan is finished, a message box will say "The scan completed successfully. Click 'Show Results' to display all objects found".
  • Click OK to close the message box and continue with the removal process.
Back at the main Scanner screen:
  • Click on the Show Results button to see a list of any malware that was found.
  • Make sure that everything is checked, and click Remove Selected.
  • When removal is completed, a log report will open in Notepad.
  • The log is automatically saved and can be viewed by clicking the Logs tab in MBAM.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that report in your next reply. Be sure to post the complete log to include the top portion which shows MBAM's database version and your operating system.
  • Exit MBAM when done.
Note: If MBAM encounters a file that is difficult to remove, you will be asked to reboot your computer so MBAM can proceed with the disinfection process. If asked to restart the computer, please do so immediately. Failure to reboot normally (not into safe mode) will prevent MBAM from removing all the malware.

Troubleshoot Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 jonebone

jonebone
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2011 - 11:38 AM

Hey thanks for the above post, I actually just resolved this myself (fingers crossed)!

To anyone that can't get TDSSKiller to run (even after renames or changing the file extension), remove your harddrive and make it run as an external on another machine. This renders the rootkit useless as it gets all of its power from startup.

Now you can run TDSSKiller on the external harddrive, and it'll snag the root kit and remove it. Then replace the harddrive in your initial machine and your probablem will hopefully be solved.

I was almost at the point of reformatting so this was quite a welcomed surprise. Thanks for your suggestions boopme.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 AM

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:45 PM

Your welcome and that is one of the alternaye solutions.

You should still ay least scan it with the MBAm as many time they drop other infections.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users