Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dell Inspiron - Black Screen of Death - Help!

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 oliverjohns

oliverjohns

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:37 AM

I spent a few hours last night searching this, as well as other forums and I just couldn't find the answer to my questions. I hate to be redundant, but I really need some advice.

Heres the skinny:

I have a Dell Inspiron running Windows 7 that is roughly a year and a half old (out of warranty). Last night, while using it, a bunch of error messages popped up (looked a lot like the kind of pop-ups associated with malware/viruses I've seen in the past), and before I could read them, my computer shut down. Upon restarting my computer, it went to the Dell splash screen and then went to a blank black screen (backlit). I've tried a number of things that I've read about on other forums, to no avail! I tried pulling the battery, holding the power button for 30-60 seconds and then restarting - nothing. I tried starting in safe mode, but pressing F8 doesn't work. The only buttons that seem to work are F2 and F12. I ran the Pre-boot System Assessment" and everything passes normally. I took the bottom cover off and pulled both my HDD and RAm and reinstalled them to make sure they were seated correctly - nothing. I plugged in another monitor to see if it was just the screen and the other monitor showed the same black screen.

1. What is my next move? Any suggestions would be helpful.
2. As I have a lot of files on my laptop that I would hate to lose, I plan on hooking up the HDD from my laptop to my desktop. If I have the HDD from my laptop hooked up in this way, would it be prudent to run a scan of the drive to see if there is something I can repair?
3. Due to recent flooding, all the discs that came with my Dell were lost. So I don't have those.

Any advice would be helpful!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users