Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My dell inspiron 1520 does not recognize external dvd rom while boot

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 mj2000

mj2000

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:30 AM

Hi all

I run win 7 sp1 on dell inspiron 1520

Its dvd-writer was damaged, so i bought an external Transcend dvd-writer and its working properly but when i insert a bootable cd in it and want to boot the

windows from it, the windows does not recognize it and boots normally from internal hard driver as usuall.

I am sure the cd is bootable and have tested it in other systems.

whats the problem ?

thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 PM

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:52 AM

http://www.liutilities.com/how-to/boot-from-the-usb-cd-drive/

Tekken

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 05 November 2011 - 03:59 PM

Dell, Plug in the drive then when the Dell logo appears on screen press F12 and choose the USB External drive.

When you say the drive is working I presume that means you tested it in Windows on that computer?

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#4 mj2000

mj2000
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:05 PM

Posted 06 November 2011 - 09:57 AM

Dell, Plug in the drive then when the Dell logo appears on screen press F12 and choose the USB External drive.

When you say the drive is working I presume that means you tested it in Windows on that computer?

Thete is no USB External drive option.

yes, o the same copmuter, while running windows, the external dvd rom works.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:35 AM

Posted 06 November 2011 - 10:46 PM

Make sure the drive is plugged in before turning on the computer, Then Press F2 to go to the Bios Setup. AS I remember it there is a boot section and a drive section. Make sure it shows the USB drive and that booting from it isn't disabled.

I know that computer can boot from a USB drive, Floppy, Flash and Optical types.

They do have to be plugged in before the computer is turned on to be available to boot from.
I'm pretty sure that is one I tested a 1Gb flash drive loaded with DOS 6.2 to boot from and that worked too. Used a USB floppy to boot the DOS install and installed to a flash drive. For safety I did pull the hard drive to be sure I didn't mess up the Hard drive.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users