Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HijackThis Log: Please help Diagnose

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cinegal

cinegal

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 PM

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:11 AM

Hi,

I am trying to install an audio driver onto my Gateway Laptop...an error message pops which reads,"DLL C:\Windows\System32\streamci.dll is not a valid windows image" This is somehow preventing the install from finishing all the way.

I truly appreciate your time and help!

I unfortunately do not have the original windows CD. This computer is a Gateway refurbish that was purchased at Best Buy years ago.

Let me know if I need to supply you with any other information.
Thank you!

Not sure if this info will also help...

System:
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 2

Gateway
7500 Series
Mobile AMD Athlon 64
Processor 4000+
1.58 Ghz, 1.00 GB of RAM

EDIT~ Logs removed as this is not a malware issue, topic moved to XP forum ~Elise

Edited by elise025, 10 November 2011 - 03:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:52 PM

Hi :).

What's the exact model of your laptop, please?

In any case...go to Device Manager (Start/Run...type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter).

Scroll down to Sound, Video, and Game Controllers...click the plus-sign in front of that. Post the detail items listed for that group, please.

Louis

#3 cinegal

cinegal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:40 PM

Hi :)

Thank you for responding!

The model number is MX7515 (gateway). The list of devices for sound/audio etc. are as follows:
Audio Codecs
Conexant AC-Link Audio
Legacy Audio Drives
Legacy Video Capture Devices
Media Control Devices
Video Codecs

To give you a little history, the sound/audio was working perfectly until we did a complete re-install on the laptop. Basically, this computer was gifted to us and we were clearing all their info etc. and resetting everything back to the basic original settings (put in layman's terms lol). We ran the F11 system restore, as suggested by the previous owners. Once done everything worked fine except for the sound. Hence, trying to re-install audio drivers....then that error (listed above) popped up during that.

Thanks for your time!

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:10 PM

Your Gateway Support page and drivers, http://support.gateway.com/us/en/product/default.aspx?tab=1&modelId=3165 .

I would follow the suggestions offered by Gateway and use the link on the support page...to get the correct driver.

Louis

#5 cryptodan

cryptodan

Bleepin Madman

• Members
  • 21,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:25 AM

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:38 PM

To further add to what Louis is saying, if the driver fails to install please make sure that any anti-virus scanning programs is disabled during install this can cause the install to fail due to the system changes taking place.

To provide you with better support you may need to go to the device in Device Manager via Right clicking on My COmputer then going to Properties and Hardware then device manager. Right click on the device go to Properties then select Details Tab and bring down the menu and copy and paste the stuff from HardwareID's section. We can then get the exact model and type of your sound card.

#6 cinegal

cinegal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2011 - 07:26 AM

Hi Louis!

I have been working with that exact same Gateway support site. I went there initially to download the audio driver, however, after I extract all the files and try to run the HFXSetup I get an error message right at the onset. It reads: Rundll.exe - Bad Image
The application or DLL C:\WINDOWS\system32\streamci.dll is not a valid windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.

When I hit OK, a second message pops up that reads "Error loading streamci %1 is not a valid Win32 application.

When I hit OK on this message the first error pops back up...it goes nack and forth between the two about 15-20 times before both completely disappear, and then nothing happens with the download.

And there are no anti-virus scans/programs running on the computer at this time.

Edited by cinegal, 11 November 2011 - 07:29 AM.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,876 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2011 - 09:47 AM

System specs, http://support.gateway.com/s/Mobile/Gateway/NewM520/5382sp11.shtml .

There are 4 options on the support page for audio drivers, only one of them will work with your particular system.

I would ignore the Conexant drivers...remove the Conexant AC-Link Audio (via Device Manager)...reboot and try to install the Soundmax driver package listed at the support page.

Each of the packages listed...should produce AC 97 standard audio...but only one of the four should work in your system.

Installing the right driver becomes trial-and-error, IMO, when not using the CD which came with that system. I have experienced similar situations in the past on one of my earlier systems.

I would add that you should always remove (in Device Manager) any driver package...which you have previously installed but which does not work properly...before trying the next.

It would not hurt, IMO, to download/install either of the two chipset drivers available...before trying to install the audio driver. Although I think this is a necessary step on systems with Intel chipsets, I don't think it's necessary with AMD chipsets/processors and I don't recall it being necessary for any driver install I have ever done (I've only had AMD processors, other than 1996). Still, it cannot hurt anything, IMO.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users