Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Total USB failure

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OS51

OS51

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:20 PM

I'm having a very strange problem. All my USB ports were working fine until today. I was at school at the time of the failure, but I got home to find the mouse not working. I initially thought it was the mouse and its wires coming loose or something (so I took it apart and now I can't get it back together; good for me...), but then I noted that all other USB devices malfunction in the same exact way. What happens is the device is recognized/powered for a split second only. The mouse provides the best example: Plug it in while watching the laser, and as you slide the plug in, you'll see the laser flash on then instantly off. Same with the power light on my headset. My MP3 player also behaves similarly, though it's harder to see because of the way the screen loads when connecting to a computer.

My ma reports that the mouse was working fine this morning, and she didn't restart the computer at all. The computer was not asleep when I found it, just unresponsive to mouse input. I initially thought it was a different problem we've been having with the system hanging. I will explain that as well in case it has any bearing on this one: Basically, every so often, the system just freezes to all input, and these lines start flickering across the screen - king of like the lines in an old film that used to flash around. They're just very thin, fuzzy lines, almost like mild static. At that point, the system must be rebooted. Often, on the re-start, the BIOS appears stating that "DQS training" failed on previous boot, and it has reverted to a slower DRAM speed. It says to press F2 to continue, which I do, after which it does some sort of operation, then kicks me to the BIOS control menu. Every time, I've just hit "save changed and exit," but that, not surprisingly, hasn't solved the problem.

A little time on Google told me that "DQS training" is something to do with overclocking, so you should know that I don't do any such thing with this machine.

We quite need the USB. Without it, we have no headset and no printer, which is not good. Anyone who can help with the crashes would also be appreciated, because we have lots of important documents on this machine, and it would not be good to lose them. Final question: If Windows crashes (not as in a bluescreen/restart situation, but a situation where Windows is ruined and cannot boot), can you pull the hard-drive from the machine and offload files if you plug it into another computer, or does losing Windows ruin every file on the drive? I don't see why it should, but with computers, the impossible becomes possible sometimes...

Last detail: The USB mouse did seem to flash a bit if I jiggled the wire (on the mouse's end), at first, but it didn't do that when I tried again later, and it's not doing anything right now with my headset. Please help if you can!

-OS51
(This is what I get for having Windows Vista on a cheap Gateway PC...)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ReviverSoft

ReviverSoft

Happy to help!

• Members
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 AM

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:33 AM

can you pull the hard-drive from the machine and offload files if you plug it into another computer, or does losing Windows ruin every file on the drive?

Yes, you most certainly can.

You also have the option of booting your computer off a LiveCD, to be able to access the hard drive's contents.

About the USB failure, your explanation seems a little confusing to me, as it indicates both a hardware failure and/or a Windows driver conflict.

One thing you can try is, accessing the Device Manager, uninstalling ALL USB controllers you see, restarting your PC and letting Windows reinstall them for you. This may or may not work.

As a last resort, you can also consider a Powered USB Adpater PCI card for your PC.

Edited by ReviverSoft, 04 November 2011 - 08:34 AM.

ReviverSoft - Happy to help!

#3 OS51

OS51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 02:29 PM

Uninstalling and reinstalling did work, but it just happened again, and now, the USB controllers aren't even listed at all in the Device Manager - nothing to do with USB is. Add/Remove hardware also didn't detect anything. I've tried restarting the computer, with and without USB devices plugged in, scanning for hardware, with and without devices, and nothing. Any suggestions?

-OS51

#4 kbit

kbit

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:26 AM

Posted 10 November 2011 - 04:57 PM

Sometimes too many usb devices plugged in can , over time , cause usb failure. The problem involves power drain ,overheating , cheap components . Try a usb card and if you have many devices, get a powered usb hub . i had one usb failure so i know it happens . Unfortunatly many hardware failures give no notice. Also a small short in a device can overload the usb causing failure . At least there is a simple fix with new card. You might have to disable onboard usb in the bios .

Edited by kbit, 10 November 2011 - 04:58 PM.

#5 OS51

OS51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 96 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:50 PM

What is a USB card, how is it installed, and can you recommend a cheap one that works well? Cause we don't have a lot of money to blow on computer parts right now.

I also noticed the card readers - sim card, etc. - are no longer recognized, either. And, I only have two things plugged into USB - an optical mouse and a headset. How's that going to short it out? What a fail, if that's true.

Also, any idea about the crashes I posted about? I think it's the processor, cause today, the screen froze, and there was a little blue line on it (sometimes there are no lines, sometimes they're just flickering spots, other times, the whole screen goes haywire), and I banged on the tower, and it went away.

-OS51

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users