Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Whole Set Of Issues.......

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 wizardofaus

wizardofaus

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 29 January 2006 - 08:58 AM

My Computer was running fine last night before I turmed it off.

This morning I have a number of problems:

Shortcut to desktop icon has disappeared from the quickstart menu
I have now fixed this, but included as may give a clue...........

Outlook express would not start.
After reader previous posts, I have unclicked "read only" from all the .dbx files, which lets OE start, but now it cannot find the address book.
Now when I click for a new message it just says "address book failed to load" then "there was a problem opening this message". I also cannot manage my identities. I do have a *.wab file - and it is all of my addresses. when I select import.address book nothing happens. Now fixed - I unchecked "read only" and restarted the computer. Address book loaded, IDs can be managed.

Firefox will not run properly
When starting firefox I get "could not initialize the browsers security component......" and a load of other stuff about full disks being full and profiles. Needless to say I have 108GB of free disk space

IE6 has lost all bookmarks
Because firefox will not run properly I started IE6 to type this. All my bookmarks have disappeared. Also it will not load a .swf from my webpage.

Half the icons on my desktop are opaque
Not a huge problem - but why?

AVG shows no problems. Neither do adaware or spybot. I have also done a couple of system restores to ever increasing earlier dates. This hasnt helped.

Edited by wizardofaus, 29 January 2006 - 09:19 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 wizardofaus

wizardofaus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2006 - 10:11 AM

:thumbsup:

All fixed, kind of.

For some reason every file on the computer made itself read only and hidden

Now they are all NOT read only and hidden, and a restart has solved the issues

Are there any files which definately should be hidden and read only?

#3 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 29 January 2006 - 10:36 AM

Hello, Actually before anybody can try to help you there is a few things that has to be known about your computer. It is system information like Processor, Ram, Operating System, Hard Drive size, Video Card and Amount of Video Ram, etc.

The last time I ran into this problem was about 15 years ago and I think the problem was the hard drive was running low on space. Remember the free space is important since Windows needs a certain amount of it to run properly (Sap File or Page file).

Get us the info asked for and we might be able to help you better, Oh one other thing if there are any error messages that popup they would be extremely helpful.

cya l8r

ThorXP

#4 wizardofaus

wizardofaus
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 73 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2006 - 10:41 AM

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
System Manufacturer Dell Computer Corporation
System Model Dimension 3000
System Type X86-based PC

160gb HDD, 108GB free
512 MB RAM

I now know what the problem was. All the files had reset to "read only". It took me ages to correct this. I guess what I need to know is how and why this happened...............

#5 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 AM

Posted 29 January 2006 - 05:49 PM

Here is an article from Microsoft Knowledge base.

How to take ownership of a file or folder in Windows XP

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308421

As to why this actually happened. It could be just a slight error on Windows behalf when booting up or possibly a virus a trojan but to actually know why I would have to have access to the computer first hand to troubleshoot it and that would not be possible. To find out you might be able to get the answer from Microsoft of one of its MVP's. You can try one or more of the sites in the following link:

http://www.mvps.org/links.html

These are people who Microsoft deems very proficient at Windows and has awarded the MVP title.

I wish I could help you more and if I do find a solid solution I will get back to you

cya l8r

ThroXP

#6 phantazy

phantazy

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 29 January 2006 - 09:36 PM

A bit of a guess, but something in your system files, THINKS that you are running short of disk space, whether it is a partition or drive. As a result to protect itself it has designated 'read only' categories. I would 1) Defragment the drive; 2) Use the advanced feature of Disk Clean Up to omit all bur the most recent restore point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users