Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

screen blinking / blacking out

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 thepurser

thepurser

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:01 PM

Hello all.
A while ago I foolishly allowed a suspect email to install a virus on my system.
It pased AVG checks several times, (at each unpack zip stage) and I eventually got rid of it, I thought.
I was unable to restore to a previous saved restore point as each time it failed on reboot.
I was left with a system that would "blink".
It starts as though you are changing resolutions. A quick off and on.
After a while, (and normally once I have a few Firefox windows open) it gets so frequent that it is only briefly blinking on. You can normally restore a picture by moving the pointer to the bottom right over the task bar which says display desktop but as soon as you move the pointer away the screen goes black again.
Occasionally I can close on of the Firefox tabs and all is well for a few minutes.
It does this occasionally on the logon screen.
It does it when Firefox is open.
It does it when Firefox isn't open.
It has started to be completely black on the startup screen but not every time.
I have tried:

Reloading Windows 7 Professional onto a fresh drive. A 160gb SSD. Same results.
Changing my Graphics card from a Gainward GTX570 to an Xfx 5870. Same results.
It happens when the machine is cold and when it is warm.
Resource monitor shows no Memory spikes.
I have virus checked, Malware checked, registry checked etc.

Please can someone help me?
I have several 023 file missing / user unknown listings from a Hijack this scan but have no idea what any of it means.

Just to Add. I can start the system in Safe mode with network and it all works fine.
Totally confused!!!!

Edited by thepurser, 03 November 2011 - 06:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:38 AM

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:43 PM

Ports, broken pin, cable or power supply. Also check the monitor on another PC. You could also try the Am I Infected section.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users