Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem upgrading system to Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 PDM

PDM

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:49 PM

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:01 PM

I built the following system in Sept of '04 (I know...I know...it's time for an upgrade).

Abit AV-8 MB
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ processor
Enermax 460W PS
MSI RX9800 Pro Graphics card
4 GB ram

It's been a very good and serviceable system since I've built it.
I got a wild hair and thought I'd try to install Win 7 64 bit. Bad Idea.

The install goes OK but when Windows starts up following the install, I get a BSOD that flashes very briefly but part of the message is ATIKMDAG.SYS

I googled that and there are several mentions but no specific information that will help me to solve my problem.

Anyone have any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:47 PM

Have you tried the windows 7 upgrade advisor software to check on your hardwares? Most likely an incompatible issue with graphics card but I would try that route first.

Tekken

#3 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:49 AM

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:02 AM

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=windows%207%20upgrade%20advisor&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CDgQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.microsoft.com%2Fdownload%2Fen%2Fdetails.aspx%3Fid%3D20&ei=KI2zTu_ALuTkiALH_N1q&usg=AFQjCNEXb8An8ecEjDAALg5al8ShnIMEkw
Upgrade Advisor link (from jhayz) -
Also, what OS are you upgrading from, XP SP3 or Vista SP2 ?? and we can leave a link for ideas -

Thank You -
EDIT - From Google
ATIKMDAG.SYS - About 129,000 results (0.18 seconds)
ATIKMDAG.SYS, BSODs - About 39,400 results (0.24 seconds)

Edited by noknojon, 04 November 2011 - 02:09 AM.

#4 PDM

PDM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:09 AM

I did a clean install from XP, not an upgrade. Probably should have used the Upgrade Advisor, but it's a little late for that now.
This mobo has an AGP video card slot. I checked out Newegg and for < $50 I can get a video card with an Nvidia chipset.
I'm going to give that a try.

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 05 November 2011 - 02:49 PM

Make sure the card actually has WIn7 drivers. Many older chipset inexpensive do not.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#6 Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 05 November 2011 - 03:08 PM

Was the previous XP operating system 32bit or 64bit? if it ran OK on a 32bit OS, then it may well be the graphics card not up to 64bit, or even the motherboard, though I doubt that as the AMD processor is a 64bit capable one so would expect the MB to also be. However, I recommend checking that all will run 64bit if the previous system was only 32bit.
Why all the fuss, I already have Windows 8. Three windows at the front, and five at the back since I bought the house.
Posted Image

#7 PDM

PDM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2011 - 07:27 AM

Previous system was XP 32 bit. The video card I had installed is this one
The graphics card I just purchased is This one
I probably shouldn't have expected the original card to work in the first place, but I figured I'd take a shot.

I'm not concerned about the motherboard supporting a 64 bit OS - although it is a bit on the elderly side :P

Delivery is scheduled for Tuesday so I'll keep you all posted on the results.

I appreciate all the advice.

Edited by PDM, 06 November 2011 - 07:29 AM.

#8 PDM

PDM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2011 - 06:30 AM

OK, so the new graphics card solved the video problem quite nicely, but now I have a new problem.

I can't find drivers for the on board NIC (the MB is too old), so I bought this Intel NIC and downloaded 64 bit drivers from here.

No matter what I do, I can't get the NIC to be enabled. The network icon has the yellow triangle over it and it says "unidentified network - No network access". My network is set to 'Home network'

Any other time I've worked on a friend's PC, I just plug the cable into the back of my router (Linksys WRT54GL) it simply connects. This is so damn frustrating. I feel like such a rookie.

I'm sure it's something simple, but I just can't seem to figure it out.

Thanks in advance.

#9 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 PM

Posted 16 November 2011 - 10:23 AM

Why buy a network card that didn't list windows 7 as a supported OS? Also next time buy one that lists your OS as supported and has a driver disc. It makes life easier.

Have you looked in the device manager to be sure the card is working properly?

You could work your way through these from Google too.
http://www.google.com/search?sclient=psy-ab&hl=en&site=&source=hp&q=unidentified+network+-+No+network+access&btnK=Google+Search

Edited by rotor123, 16 November 2011 - 10:24 AM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users