Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Shutdown Problems

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Stealth Assassin

Stealth Assassin

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 AM

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:01 PM

hi there

ive had a few problems with shutting down windows 7.

it will either display the "shutting down" text and freeze or a plain green screen. i have tried changing the reistry entries as below:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]

Set ClearPageFileAtShutdown value to 0 there is no value for this: the key does not exist

HKEY CURRENT USER\Control Panel\Desktop
Double click on the AutoEndTasks entry and replace the 0 with a 1 in the Value data text box

Double click on the WaitToKillAppTimeout entry in the right pane and change the Value data to 2000

Double click on the HungAppTimeout entry in the right pane and change the Value data to 1000

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control
Right-click on WaitToKillServiceTimeout and change it to 2000

i have run msconfig and disabled some programs.

there is no consistency as to when it shutsdown properly or not: most of the time it does yet sometimes it doesnt.

PC SPECIFICATION:
Acer Aspire X1301
4Gb RAM
AMD ATHLON II X4
NVIDIA GRAPHICS CARD
WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:21 PM

Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.
After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a simple app such as Mike Lin's Startup Control Panel (http://www.mlin.net/StartupCPL.shtml) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

#3 Stealth Assassin

Stealth Assassin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2011 - 03:36 PM

ive ran ms config but nothing has been isolated.

the problem is not regular which might suggest an application not terminating on shutdown. i have ran malwarebytes and mcafee so there are no viruses im aware of.

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2011 - 04:05 PM

Well, if it's intermittent that does make it harder to diagnose.

#5 Stealth Assassin

Stealth Assassin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2011 - 04:47 PM

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\Memory Management]

Set ClearPageFileAtShutdown value to 0

the registry key for this does not exist. Could this be a cause? Im not sure how to add new keys/entries

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,630 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2011 - 04:53 PM

No, if the key doesn't exist then it isn't enabled. That's not your problem. And that would cause a slow shutdown EVERY time.

Edited by Allan, 06 November 2011 - 04:54 PM.

#7 Stealth Assassin

Stealth Assassin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 106 posts
  •  

Posted 26 December 2011 - 05:36 AM

i have restored the system to factory defaults (un related issue) and initially i did not have any problems even after installing all my previous programs.

unfortunately it has bencome a problem again (intermittant shutdowns) but it does not occur on two other computers both running win 7. any realtime protection and active programs are the same (although i have multiple svchost.exe running).

i know others that have the same or simpilar problem so i dont know if its software or even hardware.

also, do you have any tips on how to speed up win 7 and help prevent it from crashing?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users