Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is all DDR3 1333 the some?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Toddjames

Toddjames

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:11 PM

Posted 03 November 2011 - 02:21 PM

I need some help with RAM. I need to know if this motherboard http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3726#sp will take any type of 1333 ram or does it need a specific type (10600/10660/10666). Thank you.

EDIT: I investigated further and was advised by a site that http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314 would be best for that board. Is this correct? Thanks =)

Edited by Toddjames, 03 November 2011 - 02:43 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ken-B

Ken-B

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:06 PM

Hi,

If you take a look at the Motherboard link you provided there is a "Memory Support List".
If you download the PDF format The G-Skill RAM that you have been recommended ( F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL - 4GB) is not there but these are:
G.SKILL 2GB F3-12800CL9D-4GBNQ
G.SKILL 2GB F3-12800CL7D-4GBECO

I would suggest that the recommended RAM would be compatible as the list is not a complete list of Qualified Vendors.

If you want to be absolutely sure - select RAM from the list.

=================
EDIT
If you are not installing a 64Bit OS you are limited to 4GB RAM - even if your m/board supports 8GB.

Edited by Ken-B, 03 November 2011 - 04:13 PM.

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:41 PM

Ignore the qualified vendors list, all that means is that the RAM tested works, however, RAM is pretty much the same and it can vary in stability within a model at a specific manufacturer. My general rule is, and will remain, that you should buy the cheapest RAM from a series of given manufacturers that meet your needs. Going back to the OP, Gigabyte is very specific as to the kind of RAM they suggest, mainly that it be 1.5V at DDR3 800/1066/1333 speeds. Most AMD-based motherboards have DDR3-1333 as their primary speed but since that uses the awful nForce chipset, DDR3-1066 is needed. You can get higher speed RAM and your motherboard will automatically downclock it to the fastest non-overclocked speed.

You must have a 64-bit operating system to use 4GB or more of RAM. If you use 4GB or more on a 32-bit operating system, you are limited to 4GB but a portion of that amount will be reserved for addressing so you will have between 3GB and 3.5GB depending on your configuration. Regardless of which RAM you choose, run a memory diagnostic overnight to make sure it is stable. Memtest or, if you have Windows Vista or 7, Windows Memory Diagnostic can do this. I prefer the Windows option, it is surprisingly full featured.

3939.png

#4 Ken-B

Ken-B

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:11 AM

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:38 AM

Ignore the qualified vendors list, all that means is that the RAM tested works

??
If the poster is unsure then the sensible thing to do surely is to select from a know list that has been proven to work with that m/board.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 PM

Posted 04 November 2011 - 01:34 PM

FWIW: Agree with Ken-B concerning the purpose of the QVL.

I personally have found some motherboards...to be very picky about what RAM will run without problems. In particular, I find ASUS boards to have this characteristic and possibly Asrock (both are owned by same company). I'm not trying to single that company out...it's just one that I have some modicum of personal experience with some of their products.

IMO, the QVL is intended to guide unknowing users in the purchase of RAM which is known to work with that board, according to tests conducted by the board maker. For novice users, consulting the QVL serves as a useful guide.

More experienced users may choose to experiment at their own risk...the fact is, there is no risk at all (outside the normal range of risks that can be associate anytime, anywhere with system components) when purchasing RAM listed on the QVL.

I understand what DJB is stating but that generalization may possibly result in novice users...electing RAM modules which are not compatible iwht the board they have chosen to buy.

Louis

#6 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:45 PM

I have never used the QVL for RAM and haven't had any issues, hence my ignore the QVL list. The only stipulation to that to make sure it meets the specifications as laid out in the motherboard documentation. If a particular RAM is listed on a QVL, a stick, or series of sticks, from that given manufacturer and with that model number do work. However, it is equally likely that identical RAM could fail due to manufacturing defects. I would pay particular attention to the voltage the RAM operates at though, it can cause issues, especially with AMD systems.

3939.png

#7 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:27 PM

I usually see what the voltage are on the QVL list then i would choose a different ram that is not on the list but with the same voltage.

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users