Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Vista 64 OS on 3 year Old Dell STS - Can't Run System Repair Successfully. Help!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Mrgbojangles

Mrgbojangles

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 03 November 2011 - 12:25 PM

Hi:
I am new to this site and desperately need advice. I have a 3 year old Dell running Vista Home Edition. For the past two days I had noticed issues with Outlook. It would hang and go unresponsive. The solution was to use Task Manager and shut it down. This happened again last night but when I went to shut it down it wouldn't. So after a few minutes I powered down using the on/off button; waited a few seconds and powered up again using the on/off button.

The system appeared to be loading. I had the horizontal small sliver box at the bottom and watched for about 10 minutes as the green trail moved across the slot. After that I powered down again.

On the next start attempt I got the "System Repair" screen. I followed the instructions and after quite some time I got the screen that said it couldn't repair the problem. When I checked the log all tests ran successfully. There was a message that read"Root cause found: Unspecified changes to system configuration might have caused the problem."

But when I try to reboot again the same screen appears.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,085 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2011 - 01:07 PM

Have you tried the Last Known Good Configuration boot option?

Or safe mode?

If either works, I suggest running the chkdsk /r command...hard shutdowns may scramble boot/system files and chkdsk /r will attempt to straighten things out.

Louis

#3 Mrgbojangles

Mrgbojangles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:32 AM

Louis: I was able to get to Safe mode once and set it up for the scan but it didn't do it on restart and now I can't seem to get back to Safe mode again. It starts to load drivers and stops at "Loaded: \Windows\System2\Drivers\avgrkx64.sys and tells me to "Please wait..." Then after an hour or so it goes into the normal windows startup sequence with the green bar at the ottom and just sits there.

I really need the pics that are on this PC of my grandchildren if someone can help.
Thanks

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,085 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2011 - 11:27 AM

Take a look, http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-system/windows-7-64-bit-bsod-stop-error-0x0f4-fixed/f4a12a56-30d9-492e-9ed1-3a2504feb5a7 .

Even though it's Win 7, it seems that this is also peculiar to Vista.

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproinstall/thread/9889c0dc-edc8-45ad-ad2c-0bbf4a3fe2f9/

Louis

#5 Mrgbojangles

Mrgbojangles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:02 PM

Louis:
Well, I'm happy to say that I found the problem and am back up and running. The file that was stopping safe mode loading was a file for th AVG antivirus program on my machine. It had autoupdated several days before my problems began. I went in to the DOS commad mode and renamed the 3 avgxxxxx.sys files with .bak extensions and rebooted. It worked! I am angry that a program I paid for caused so much disruption but glad it's over.

Thanks for your help and support.

george

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,085 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2011 - 08:10 AM

Nice work, thanks for the positive feedback re resolution of the problem :).

Happy computing :).

Louis

#7 Mrgbojangles

Mrgbojangles
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:37 AM

Thanks Louis Now I cannot backup with MS Backup getting 0x80070002 error. Any thoughts? Thanks.
Bojangles

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,085 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:46 AM

Hmmm, worth a look, http://www.vistax64.com/general-discussion/130435-0x80070002-error-vista-backup-centre.html AND http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-performance/error-message-during-vistas-backup-0x80070002/a17224b0-c53f-4ab2-9286-ddc47c683ae6 .

Note: Before attempting any registry edit of any type, users should always backup the registry. A good tool for doing such is ERUNT Registry Backup Tool - http://www.snapfiles.com/get/erunt.html .

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users