Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Readies Second Anti-spyware Beta

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 29 January 2006 - 08:06 AM

Microsoft Readies Second Anti-Spyware Beta
By Gregg Keizer

Windows Defender, Microsoft's free anti-spyware program that's been in beta for more than a year, will shift into its second round of testing in the next two months...Beta 1 only works in Windows XP...Windows Defender Beta 2...will be available for Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Server 2003, and Windows Vista, with additional editions for earlier Windows posted at some undisclosed future date. It will be included with both the client and server versions of Vista...

Among what's new in Beta 2...is integration with Outlook..., a totally-redesigned interface, and automatic updates that include both spyware definition updates and upgrades to the scanning engine, allowing Microsoft to update the software without having to explicitly release a new version...The Vista and non-Vista versions of Defender will be similar, though not identical... adding that Defender would be free to all users with a validated copy of Windows.

informationweek.com/story
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 29 January 2006 - 01:02 PM

Quiteman. Is this MicroSoft Antispyware Beta1? I have MS Antispyware Beta1 (GIANT) on 6 of my W2k PRO computer at the house. Is this the same software? Will I have issues later with my W2k computers if I continue to use it? Is there a reason to be concerned?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 51,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 AM

Posted 29 January 2006 - 02:18 PM

Is this MicroSoft Antispyware Beta1? I have MS Antispyware Beta1 (GIANT) on 6 of my W2k PRO computer at the house. Is this the same software?

Yes but it is the next upgrade to the current MS Antispyware beta. A posting on Microsoft's TechNet Web blog announced the name change to "Windows Defender" in early November 2005. It is supposed to be available to existing Windows XP users via a software refresh, replacing the current Windows AntiSpyware beta technology.

Will I have issues later with my W2k computers if I continue to use it? Is there a reason to be concerned?

MS did not address the issue of providing definition updates for those users who choose not to upgrade but I suspect they will be discontinued. Availabily of the new upgrade for 2K users is uncertain. Windows 2000 is not mentioned in the below blog post.

Microsoft's Anti-Malware Engineering Team discussed the name change in their November blog.
According to the blog, the engine has been moved to a system service, and signatures will be delivered over Windows Update (IMO to ensure users have a validated copy of Windows). Enterprise and corporate customers that are using Windows Server Update Services will see "Windows Defender" in the product category dialog as well as a new classification called "Definition Updates".

I have read that Windows Defender will employ the same detection technology used in Microsoft's antivirus engine, improving the spyware detection capabilities and that it has been expanded to detect/remove rootkits and keystroke loggers. Microsoft uses rootkit detection technology from its Strider Ghostbuster research project - a prototype tool developed by Microsoft's Cybersecurity and Systems Management Research Group.

There is a good write up on Windows Vista's built-in spyware Defender here. However, it is my understanding that users will be able to disable it and use spyware software from a different vendor if they choose to do so.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 29 January 2006 - 05:24 PM

Thank you. Like always your post are clear, precise, and concise. Your topics take a, difficult at best, subject and make it understandable to the average user. You are providing a valuable service. Keep up the good work.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#5 oRCaz

oRCaz

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:14 PM

Posted 14 February 2006 - 04:45 AM

Just asking, is automatic updating for Windows Defender enabled automatically when you install it? (Correct me if I am wrong...) If it is, is there a way to disable automatic updating? I don't like automatic updates cause they take up unnecessary resources.
:: Orcaz signing off ::

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users