Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

view PDF file online through website link

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 991 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:07 AM

Clicking on any hyperlink on an online webpage would open a PDF file online directly, but since uninstalling Acrobat Reader 5 from my old Windows XP computer with Internet Explorer 8, when I click on a pdf hyperlink in a webpage, the information bar in Internet Explorer asks if I want to download the file.

I assume that I now will need a new add-on; either an extension, a toolbar, or an accelerator, in order to directly click on and open any pdf files linked in webpages. I'm not sure how to choose. There is an add-on manager in IE called, "Manage Add-Ons". I follow the link starting from the botton in that window, but then I am unsure of what I find afterwards. (Find more toolbars and add-ons). QUESTION: What should I specifically look for to install or download?

In any case, if there is a PDF file I want to see, I can download it and open it in Sumatra PDF or in Foxit Reader, and view it AFTER DOWNLOADING and opening through either Sumatra or Foxit. The point is I do not always want to need to download the PDF in order to view it.

Thanks, Anybody.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 AM

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:10 AM

The option only comes in either to download and or to view a pdf files.

Tekken

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,336 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2011 - 05:57 PM

I know for a fact PDF-XChange Viewer Free will allow you to view .pdf's in your browser without the need to download them. It is the default .pdf viewer I use, and I often view .pdfs in my browser.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 991 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:13 AM

I know for a fact PDF-XChange Viewer Free will allow you to view .pdf's in your browser without the need to download them. It is the default .pdf viewer I use, and I often view .pdfs in my browser.

This one now works. I made it work the way I expected with a selection in Preferences: In File Associations, check mark in Display PDF in Browser. Also, PDF XChange Viewer (Free version ) is set as my default PDF reader. It works well, but files and the viewer do not open as fast as with Foxit Reader. Maybe as fast as the formerly installed Adobe Reader Version 5.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users