Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Quest About Improving Singal & Range

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 DJboutit

DJboutit

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 03 November 2011 - 01:22 AM

Right now I am using amped ua600 usb adapter with a dlink 7dbi antenna 8ft high that is 60ft ft away from linksys wrt54g router. I am getting signal is 78% to 80% link is 100%. If I were to replace the dlink antenna with a 12dbi outdoor omi antenna mounted 20ft high would I notice any increase in signal from the router and pick more networks close by. Would it even be worth it to replace the dlink antenna??

Edited by DJboutit, 03 November 2011 - 01:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:12 PM

Usually the specification of the equipment or device would provide the details on your queries. As to picking other networks, not recommended.

Tekken

#3 Fozzies

Fozzies

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 04 November 2011 - 12:45 PM

Difficult to answer that one as the propogation of radio waves without a site survey is impossible to predict. each 3dbi will equate to a doubling of power, so you have a very definate increase in power there, but it depends on the footprint of the aerial as to where all that extra power will go. an omni aerial isnt trully omni directional, and will perform better in certain directions than others, with the downwards direction possibly being far less powerful than outwards. hence raising the height may not be beneficial. you need to look at the footprint drawing for the individual aerial you are using to determine this.
A directional aerial may be a better option as its footprint will be more focussed, and therefore stronger signal in the area you need it.
Also, remember that sources of rf will interfere with your wifi signals too, and increasing power will not resolve isssues caused by rfi (eg.power leads, televisions, flourescent lighting, to name but a few)

Edited by Fozzies, 04 November 2011 - 12:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users