Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Why bother trying to remove Rootkiller.ZeroAccess?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Melto62

Melto62

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:17 PM

Please understand that I ask the above, as in the subject line, with all due respect. After reading the mind-boggling, numerous steps you need to take, the many, many programs you need to download and run, in a (usually) failed attempt to clear this virus, I was struck with this simple question: Does it not make far more sense, is it not far easier, to simply do a complete uninstall/reinstall of your OS? I was attacked by Rootkiller.ZeroAccess, this afternoon. I ran all of the right programs including this site's great ComboFix. Nothing got far enough into my computer to loosen the grasp of this pos virus from my IP address system. It was locked down, tight. In reading many articles and postings from others, I found that I was not alone. Even on this site, so many have struggled and failed to get this pita off of their computers. It is my feeling that the human garbage who came up with this thing have recently upgraded it. It locks up most AV programs and it resists all attempts to remove it. I wasted about three hours messing around with my computer. Then I was struck by this thought, "Hey, I have a 1T external hard drive on my system, it has the files I use, why goof around, here? In less than one hour, my computer was back to new condition. I did a complete uninstall/reinstall, and things are better than they have been in two years! I guess many of you are techies, here, so I guess it's more about the challenge than the sense of time wasted, that matters to you. So be it. For those of you who are more interested in getting back to your work on your computer, I strongly suggest that you forgo the umpteen steps that are detailed in many of the posts/here, and grab your boot discs. You won't be sorry, and you won't waste your precious time. Good luck! AgaIn, I absolutely mean no disrespect to the helpful techs on this site. They have helped me with other virus attacks, but ZeroAccess is a whole other ballgame.

Edited by hamluis, 03 November 2011 - 07:32 AM.
Moved from Am i Infected to Announcements, Comments, Suggestions.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheShooter93

TheShooter93

Cody

• Malware Response Team
  • 4,792 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:47 PM

Not all people have a backup of their harddrive, so it becomes necessary to clean their computer without formatting the harddrive.

CCNA R&SCCNA Security | Network+  |  B.S. - Information Technology | Cyber Security Engineer

If I am helping you and have not replied within 48 hours, please send me a private message.

#3 Blade

Blade

Strong in the Bleepforce

• Site Admin
  • 12,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:54 AM

In addition to the point that TheShooter93 made above there are a number of other possible reasons that an OP may prefer not to wipe and reinstall. These reasons include lack of backup, extensive customization that would be lost in a reinstallation, or lack of media required for reinstallation of the OS or one or more programs critical to the OP. In any case, the decision over whether to reformat is evaluated by both helper and OP in each case. If the helper realizes that a machine is a lost cause, he/she will not hesitate to strongly recommend a reformat and reinstallation.

While ZeroAccess is a formidable infection that is difficult to remove, it is not an unbeatable infection. For some people (such as yourself), their experience and preparedness for the reinstallation of Windows makes a system wipe more cost effective than a difficult removal procedure. For others with no such experience or preparations that may not be the case.

Posted Image

If I am helping you, it has been 48 hours since your last post, and I have yet to reply to your topic, please send me a PM
Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook
Follow us on Twitter!
Circle us on Google+

#4 Melto62

Melto62
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:46 AM

Not all people have a backup of their harddrive, so it becomes necessary to clean their computer without formatting the harddrive.

I agree with you, but this certainly makes a very strong case for spending the few dollars it takes, these days, to get a one to two terabyte external hard drive. You don't even have to think about it, as the new hd's have software that will back up your files, automatically. I plan on getting another ext. hd and putting only my most important files into it, periodically. When I'm not backing things up, it will go into a secured storage area.

#5 Melto62

Melto62
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:55 AM

In addition to the point that TheShooter93 made above there are a number of other possible reasons that an OP may prefer not to wipe and reinstall. These reasons include lack of backup, extensive customization that would be lost in a reinstallation, or lack of media required for reinstallation of the OS or one or more programs critical to the OP. In any case, the decision over whether to reformat is evaluated by both helper and OP in each case. If the helper realizes that a machine is a lost cause, he/she will not hesitate to strongly recommend a reformat and reinstallation.

While ZeroAccess is a formidable infection that is difficult to remove, it is not an unbeatable infection. For some people (such as yourself), their experience and preparedness for the reinstallation of Windows makes a system wipe more cost effective than a difficult removal procedure. For others with no such experience or preparations that may not be the case.

I agree with you, as well. Even so, as I stated, above, this makes a strong case for investing in an ext hd. The more you customize your active computer operations, the more you need to back up the same, although I also know that is sometimes easier said than done. As far as not having reinstallation discs, that is, for the most part, inexcusable, these days, for any serious user. If you don't have the discs to do reinstalls, you should not be on the computer, in the first place. Again, I understand some may not have the discs, but they should give serious thought, then, to committing anything of great value to the computer. ZeroAccess is getting stronger, these days, and I believe it is moving towards being one of those viruses that will be virtually impossible to remove for all but the most dedicated techies. Even then, it will take hours and hours, if not days, to approach removal, "approach" being the operative word.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users