Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem managing Firefox bookmarks

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Keith1

Keith1

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:19 PM

Posted 02 November 2011 - 08:14 PM

Ubuntu 11.10
Firefox 7.0.1

I posted here because this seems to be 'Linux specific'. I have the same Firefox version on my Windows machines, and this doesn't occur.

I wanted to do some bookmarks maintenance on my Ubuntu machine last evening, but I was unable to move or delete bookmarks.To be more specific - when I 'grab' a bookmark with my left mouse button and attempt to relocate it, I don't get the line between other other bookmarks where I can drop it. And, when I right-click a bookmark, I don't get the drop down menu where I can delete it - it just opens. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Keith

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:19 PM

Alrighty, I found the problem. I just wanted to follow-up in case anyone else runs into it.

I found an 'uninvited' extension - I don't know how/when it got installed. Here's what it is -

Global Menu Bar integration 2.0.1 - and here's the description - This extension integrates the menu bar into the Unity panel.

Odd that it only has a disable option, and no remove option. I keep finding more things I hate about Unity!!!!!!!

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,302 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2011 - 04:36 AM

Are you using Instantbird? Looks like that is what that add-on supports.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 stiltskin

stiltskin

• Members
  • 238 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:50 AM

It was probably installed as a default by Ubuntu (Unity is the clue). The reason it wouldn't have an uninstall option (if I'm correct, and I think I am) is because it's added system-wide. It would need to be removed through Synaptic or another package manager.

#5 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2011 - 07:59 AM

Nope, I'm not using Instantbird. I was curious and did a file search for it and found three instances - two of - /usr/lib/python, and one of - /usr/share/pyshared. I noticed that they were last modified Monday, Oct. 31 - which is about the time I got my latest Ubuntu updates. That coincides with the time my problem started.

At least everything is working fine now.

Keith

#6 rburkartjo

rburkartjo

• Members
  • 3,998 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2011 - 09:42 AM

keith glad you got it to work.
quote:He that would live in peace & at ease, Must not speak all he knows,nor judge all he sees.'

#7 Keith1

Keith1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 504 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:45 PM

Thanks Ray, I see a lot of articles in your Linux corner about Unity ( and options ), which is good to have at hand. I've gone through some aggravation with Unity, but I'm just determined to learn as much as possible about it at this point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users