Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Access Extern. Hd From 3 Pcs In My Homenetwork

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 p.stuyvesant

p.stuyvesant

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 29 January 2006 - 05:44 AM

Hello,

I have an external Maxtor 126 GB HD connnected to one of my three PCs in my homenetwork
and should like to be able to access this external HD from the remaining 2 PCs as well.
Up to now I e.g. send data from my laptop to the PC to which the Maxtor is connected and then store the data to the Maxtor.
As I hoped it could be done in an easier way I mailed Maxtor, but they refer to webpages which
show a lot of technical info beyond my PC-knowledge.

In a small commercial Dynabyte-folder I found an engine named Network Storage Adapter LN-350.
Neither Dynabyte nor me know whether it can be used in a Win98SE homenetwork plus additional
external Maxtor HD.

Help will be highly appreciated.

Regards,
Peter

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Snapper

Snapper

• Members
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:44 PM

Posted 29 January 2006 - 10:06 AM

short answer is to share the root of the drive(external), and "map" the drive to each node you want to give acces to.
technically BTW, you really shouldn't (for security purposes) share the root of a drive, but as long as you understand the risks, i do it.

now Q&A time,
what OS do you use on eachof your computers?
which one is the maxtor connected to?
do you use a router/switch/or P2P networking.(2 computers connected together)?

OS sharing differs slightly with each version, in win98, you have to "enable file and printer sharing" whereas in xp, it is mostly automated, you also have to be on the same "workgroup".
post reply back, someone will help you if i cant get back in a timely fashion.
dave
Google...Google.....browse..read

#3 p.stuyvesant

p.stuyvesant
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 07 February 2006 - 02:20 AM

Dear Dave,

Shame on me.

I am very sorry but I just found your answer; all the time waiting for some notification.

Very best regards,

Peter

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:44 PM

Posted 07 February 2006 - 03:08 AM

Snapper, as alway, has given a clean concise recommendation. I thought I would put out one other option in case someone is looking for the same solution but also needed a router. These router have a USB port for an external hard drive, which means that the computer that would have had the USB drive attach does not have to leave it's self open to outside users. More secure.

http://www.netgear.com/products/details/WGT634U.php

http://presslink.dlink.com/pr/?prid=195

http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c...FVisitorWrapper
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users