Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:48 PM
I am trying to fix my son's netbook (Honest this is not mine). He has been using LimeWire, which I have now removed, and I can only assume this is the source of his problems.
This is not the first time he has had viruses but I have been able to sort out the others. However the current batch are too hard for me to solve altough it is behaving better than it was when he first gave it to me.
The symtoms are
1) Cannot start Microsoft Security Essentials - It fails with a popup Access is denied......Error Code 08x8007005
2) When clicking on Google Search Results it takes you to various websites but not the one in the hit. This can easily be overriden by clicking the URL Address bar and sending.
3) I have installed a few Virus Detection tools- these work for a while but then fail "Windows cannot access the specified device, path or file. You may not may have the approroate permissions to access them.
There may be other issues but these are the ones that I have found so far.