Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PowerPoint Presentation

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 johncv

johncv

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:00 PM

Hi does anyone know how to compress a pps file I have created, the size is 42 meg and usally when someone sends one to me they are about 5 megs. Cannot fiqure it out, the pps file I have created has pictures and music.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TulsaRose

TulsaRose

• Members
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:23 PM

You may find solutions at this Office Support page.

WinXP Pro sp3 \ Firefox, Panda, MBAM, SAS, SpywareBlaster

#3 johncv

johncv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:12 PM

I am sorry I should let you know I am running Office 2010, thanks for the help tried a program on the page you sent called ppt optermizer didnt work it went from 42 meg to 46 meg. I E-Mailed the problem to the program created to see if I was doing something wrong lets see what happens.

Thanks

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:06 AM

Posted 02 November 2011 - 04:21 PM

I think your problem is the pictures and music. They can really blow out the size of a pps file. Try to reduce the numbers of pictures and music. Make sure you use low resolution pictures (as low as you can make it while still being clear) and also try to use music files with low kbit/s.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 johncv

johncv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:58 AM

Hi and thanks for all the suggestions, here is what the people for the program optimizer E-Mailed me.

Hi John,

It's hard to say what might be happening. Honestly, Optimizer's a bit old and doesn't really support the newer versions of
PPT all that well, and we're not looking at updating it.

I would have a look at the Neuxpower product, NXPowerLite:
http://www.neuxpower.com

I'm betting it would do a better job.

Tryed the program neuxpowerlite still to big guess what I need to do is find a step by step on creating a pps file in powerpoint 2010.

Again thanks

#6 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:29 PM

I'd agree with Budapest, high resolution pictures, animation and music all take up space. You could:

1) Burn the PowerPoint to a CD and send to the person via the postal service
2) Upload the file to a filesharing website such as Megaupload
3) Use Microsoft PhotoStory 3.0. Easy to use utility to create sideshows set to music. You can save to various formats.

Hope that helps!
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#7 johncv

johncv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2011 - 11:02 AM

Thank you Firecracker but now it has become personal, I get pps files from other's and they are only 4.5 meg has to be someway to shrink them?????????????????

#8 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:06 PM

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:56 AM

Pleasure John, however you need to look at where your getting your pictures, sound/music videos from. Look at their initial size. if you want an mp3 to play as background music - look at the mp3's file size, if it's 3.5MB, that's 3.5MB added to your PowerPoint straight away. Likewise if you add a photo taken with a camera at 5 megapixels your looking at a file size of around 2-3MB.

Basically when you put a PowerPoint together using basic text and in-built animations the file size is relatively small. The moment you start to add images, sound, music etc the file size jumps up.

* When you create a *.pps (PowerPoint Show) file PowerPoint collates all of your media (music/sound/pictures) and compiles them into one file - thus you can send via an e-mail, or send to someone.

Hope this helps
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users