Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

audio problem with DVD player

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 gib65

gib65

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 02 November 2011 - 11:51 AM

Hello,

I've got a DVD-RW drive that seems to be malfunctioning. The computer is a Compaq Presario R4000 notebook running Windows XP. The problem has to do with the audio. Whenever I put DVDs in, the audio comes out really choppy - and by that I mean it will output sound for maybe a fraction of a second followed by a fraction of a second of silence followed by sound again followed by silence again and so on. It's almost as if it was running too many applications at once (but it's not).

I've tested this on multiple DVDs and gotten the same problem. I tried the same DVDs on other computers and got no problem. I've also tried shutting my computer down, giving it time to cool, and rebooting, but this didn't help.

I wanted to record the sound and make it available as a link or upload in this post, but even that wouldn't work. For some reason, my sound recorded doesn't record when the DVD is playing. It creates an MP3 of 0 KB no matter how long I let it run. If I try to record sound from other sources (for example, a youtube video), or even silence when nothing is running, it records normally creating files of varying sizes.

I suspect that the sound recorder first detects if there are any audio channels open and if there are (even if no sound is streaming through them), it records. But for some reason (and I think this has something to do with the problem), when the DVD player is running, it shuts down all channels and (maybe) is supposed to open one for itself but fails to do so. The recorder, detecting no channel open, simply doesn't record.

I tried downloading and reinstalling my sound driver from compaq's website, and it didn't do anything. Next, I tried searching for a DVD-RW drive driver and couldn't find one on compaq's website.

Does anyone know where I can find the right driver for the DVD-RW driver on my compaq presario R4000 notebook computer? Or, alternatively, do you have any suggestions for what might be the problem and how to fix it?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:08 AM

Have you tried playing an audio CD in the laptop to see if the audio is also choppy? Also, what software are you using to playback the DVD?
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#3 gib65

gib65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2011 - 11:33 AM

It says Media Player Classic - Home Cinema - v1.4.2499.0

#4 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2011 - 01:08 PM

Try uninstalling 'Media Player Classic - Home Cinema - v1.4.2499.0' and re-installing it again. There is also a newer version of MPC available here.
Posted Image

#5 gib65

gib65
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2011 - 01:59 PM

Yes, I WOULD like to uninstall it and just use Windows Media Player, but I can't find it in Add or Remove Programs. I do have Windows Media Player 11 installed. Is there a way of getting my DVD player to automatically play with WMP 11 instead of MPC?

#6 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2011 - 05:32 AM

If you can't find an entry in Add or Remove programs, have a look in the START --> ALL PROGRAMS --> K-Lite Codec Pack. There should be around 5 folders, plus the link to uninstall.

If you can't find the uninstall option there try looking in: C:\Program Files\K-Lite Codec Pack, (providing you installed it to this location) the uninstall option should be there.

If this doesn't work, download the latest Media Player Classic, install and when it asks you "if you'd like to associate media player classic with playing your DVD's say no". If that fails just download Windows Media Player 11 again and reinstall, this will ask you a similar question regarding the playing of DVD's.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users