Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intermittent System Freeze

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Doctor Jill

Doctor Jill

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 02 November 2011 - 05:05 AM

First off, understand that I am a techno-booby, trying hard to understand how stuff works. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

I cannot unfortunately remember when this problem started, but at least a month ago. I have been trying various fixes, off and on, and then a friend recommended this site.

I read the through the Malware Tutorials, and managed to get rid of a Trojan Horse (yay me) and a couple of other bits and pieces, but the problem persists. Clean-up, defrag and system scans fail to get rid of the problem.

It's random, intermittent, and varies in duration, and when it freezes whatever I'm working on is inaccessible. EG,I can move the mouse around, but it doesn't have any effect on the page, the cursor freezes on script and I cannot scroll. Web pages cease loading. I am frequently running several programs and switching around between them, but this has never been a problem before. The freeze can last anything from a few seconds to half a minute or more.

And, of course, it's sods' law, but it hasn't happened at all while I'm typing this message...

Edited by hamluis, 04 November 2011 - 12:00 PM.
Moved from XP to Am I Infected.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:43 AM

Have you tried safemode on the freezing issue or posted on the am I infected section?

Edited by jhayz, 02 November 2011 - 07:43 AM.

Tekken

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:42 AM

Have you checked for overheating?

Louis

#4 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:14 PM

Hello doctor jill welcome to bleeping computer.
Download CCLEANER the link below:

http://www.piriform....leaner/download

Just DONT us the registry cleaner function of CCleaner unless you know what you are deleting exactly!!

Then open ccleaner hit the tools button then startup second one down below uninstall then in the bottom right hand corner of ccleaner hit save to text file.Save it to your desktop and post the startup.txt here in your next reply.Also hit start run then type msconfig then hit the services tab then hit put a check mark in hide microsoft services what is listed there,after hiding microsoft services?

#5 Doctor Jill

Doctor Jill
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 04 November 2011 - 11:21 AM

Thanks everyone for your helpful ideas.

I haven't managed to get into Safe Mode, though when I removed the viruses with Malwarebytes and Super AntiSpyware I ran them again afterwards and the problems did not reappear. I will try and catch Safe mode next time!

1. I have had CCleaner for a while, but haven't run the Start-Up test before. Results are as follows:

Yes HKCU:Run ctfmon.exe C:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
Yes HKCU:Run LogitechSoftwareUpdate "C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\ManifestEngine.exe" boot
Yes HKCU:Run SpybotSD TeaTimer C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe
Yes HKCU:Run Azureus C:\Program Files\Vuze\Azureus.exe
Yes HKCU:Run Skype "C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /nosplash /minimized
Yes HKCU:Run SUPERAntiSpyware C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
Yes HKLM:Run RTHDCPL RTHDCPL.EXE
Yes HKLM:Run Alcmtr ALCMTR.EXE
Yes HKLM:Run NvCplDaemon RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
Yes HKLM:Run nwiz nwiz.exe /install
Yes HKLM:Run NvMediaCenter RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
Yes HKLM:Run GrooveMonitor "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveMonitor.exe"
Yes HKLM:Run LVCOMSX C:\WINDOWS\system32\LVCOMSX.EXE
Yes HKLM:Run LogitechVideoRepair C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\ISStart.exe
Yes HKLM:Run LogitechVideoTray C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\LogiTray.exe
Yes HKLM:Run Adobe Reader Speed Launcher "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
Yes HKLM:Run Adobe ARM "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
Yes HKLM:Run ArcSoft Connection Service C:\Program Files\Common Files\ArcSoft\Connection Service\Bin\ACDaemon.exe
Yes HKLM:Run KernelFaultCheck %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
Yes HKLM:Run avast "C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\avastUI.exe" /nogui
Yes HKLM:Run SunJavaUpdateSched "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
Yes Startup Common Philips GoGear VIBE Device Manager.lnk C:\Program Files\Philips\GoGear VIBE Device Manager\GoGear_Vibe_DeviceManager.exe
Yes Startup User OneNote 2007 Screen Clipper and Launcher.lnk C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\ONENOTEM.EXE
Yes Startup User Samsung Auto Backup Guage.lnk C:\Program Files\Clarus\Samsung Auto Backup\ISFGuage.exe
Yes Startup User Samsung Auto Backup Real-Time Daemon.lnk C:\Program Files\Clarus\Samsung Auto Backup\ISFRealTimeD.exe
Yes Startup User Samsung Auto Backup Scheduler.lnk C:\Program Files\Clarus\Samsung Auto Backup\ISFTimerD.exe

I can identify quite a lot of these things, but there are some which are a mystery. I have tried to uninstall Logitech video several times but it will not remove itself with the Uninstall program.

2. Running the MSConfig and hiding the Microsoft items, I am left with the following:

SAS Core Service Unknown Running
ArcSoft Connect Daemon ArcSoft Inc Running
avast! Antivirus Unknown Running
Windows Cardspace Unknown Stopped
Java Quick Starter Unknown Running
Microsoft Office Groove... Unknown Stopped
NVIDIA Display Driver Se... NVIDIA Corp Running
Microsoft Office Diagnos... Unknown Stopped
Office Source Engine Unknown Stopped
Windows Media Player N... Unknown Stopped

I am sure this will leave someone the wiser, and look forward to hearing more about what to do next.

Thanks again,
Doctor Jill

#6 InadequateInfirmity

InadequateInfirmity

I Gots Me A Certified Edumication

• Banned
  • 5,180 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2011 - 05:18 PM

Hello you can disable these from starting up with windows they can be started at any time by double clicking the icon for the program if need be.
to do that open ccleaner hit tools startup left click on selected item and disable.

Yes Startup User OneNote 2007 Screen Clipper and Launcher.lnk C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\ONENOTEM.EXE
Yes Startup User Samsung Auto Backup Guage.lnk C:\Program Files\Clarus\Samsung Auto Backup\ISFGuage.exe (optional)
Yes Startup User Samsung Auto Backup Real-Time Daemon.lnk C:\Program Files\Clarus\Samsung Auto Backup\ISFRealTimeD.exe (optional)
Yes Startup User Samsung Auto Backup Scheduler.lnk C:\Program Files\Clarus\Samsung Auto Backup\ISFTimerD.exe (optional)
Yes HKLM:Run SunJavaUpdateSched "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Java\Java Update\jusched.exe"
Yes Startup Common Philips GoGear VIBE Device Manager.lnk C:\Program Files\Philips\GoGear VIBE Device Manager\GoGear_Vibe_DeviceManager.exe
Yes HKLM:Run KernelFaultCheck %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
Yes HKLM:Run ArcSoft Connection Service C:\Program Files\Common Files\ArcSoft\Connection Service\Bin\ACDaemon.exe (definitly disable this one)
Yes HKLM:Run LogitechVideoRepair C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\ISStart.exe
Yes HKLM:Run LogitechVideoTray C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\LogiTray.exe
Yes HKLM:Run Adobe Reader Speed Launcher "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Reader 10.0\Reader\Reader_sl.exe"
Yes HKLM:Run Adobe ARM "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
Yes HKLM:Run GrooveMonitor "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office12\GrooveMonitor.exe"
Yes HKLM:Run LVCOMSX C:\WINDOWS\system32\LVCOMSX.EXE
Yes HKLM:Run NvMediaCenter RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
Yes HKCU:Run SUPERAntiSpyware C:\Program Files\SUPERAntiSpyware\SUPERAntiSpyware.exe
Yes HKLM:Run RTHDCPL RTHDCPL.EXE
Yes HKLM:Run Alcmtr ALCMTR.EXE (definitly disable this one)
Yes HKLM:Run NvCplDaemon RUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS\system32\NvCpl.dll,NvStartup
Yes HKLM:Run nwiz nwiz.exe /install (optional)
Yes HKCU:Run Skype "C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /nosplash /minimized (If you dont use this on a daily basis disable it)
Yes HKCU:Run LogitechSoftwareUpdate "C:\Program Files\Logitech\Video\ManifestEngine.exe" boot
Yes HKCU:Run SpybotSD TeaTimer C:\Program Files\Spybot - Search & Destroy\TeaTimer.exe (you need to uninstall spybot there are much better alternatives we will get to that)
Yes HKCU:Run Azureus C:\Program Files\Vuze\Azureus.exe

Ok after completing the task above then.
Hit start button at lower left hand corner of the screen.Then in the run box type services.msc. Find the service listed below,one at a time. left click it once.You should have the option to either stop the service or restart it. Stop the service, then right click the selected service. Select properties then change the startup type to manual then click apply and move on to the next service,until you have completed all of them.If the service is stopped and set to manual then do nothing.

Microsoft Office Diagnos... Unknown Stopped
Office Source Engine Unknown Stopped
Windows Media Player N... Unknown Stopped
Windows Cardspace Unknown Stopped
Java Quick Starter Unknown Running
Microsoft Office Groove... Unknown Stopped
SAS Core Service Unknown Running
ArcSoft Connect Daemon ArcSoft Inc Running

After completion of the task at hand reboot your machine.
Then post a new startup list from ccleaner.
Also what services are running.
How is the computer now running?
Open ccleaner hit tools uninstall save to text file and post in your next reply.
Also let me know if you decided to uninstall spybot it is pretty useless unless you enjoy system resources being hogged.

After you have completed the steps in the last post download autoruns and run it right click and delete every entry that reads file not found.
http://www.filehippo...702269a51fec67/
Save it to your desktop unzip it and run it.
Here is a great tool to unzip programs. 7 zip
http://sourceforge.n...20.exe/download

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users