Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

MKV Splitter program?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 steveh8204

steveh8204

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:56 AM

First of all I hope this in the right section as it possibly qualifies for a couple.

I have an external hard drive I've had to format to Fat32 so it is recognized by my BluRay player. This therefore presents the problem of not playing files bigger than 4gb.

Can anyone recommend any programs to split my MKVs into two smaller files to circumvent this problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:18 AM

AFAIK, there isn't a 'straight forward' way to split mkv's (somebody may correct me on this) :) The following thread over at 'VideoHelp.com' may assist: link.

Edited by FireKracker, 03 November 2011 - 08:19 AM.

If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#3 steveh8204

steveh8204
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2011 - 01:05 PM

Thanks for the link, I've tried MKVMerge but the files won't play on my BluRay they just make it crash.

Thats probably more to do with my BluRay player than the program so might have to do some more BluRay player specific googling.

#4 Akashi

Akashi

• Members
  • 301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:23 PM

It says HERE that Boilsoft Video Splitter can split MKV files.

However, I have not used the program personally, so I can not vouch that it is true.

#5 WallyWest

WallyWest

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 PM

Posted 05 November 2011 - 08:42 AM

iWiSoft Free Video Converter has an editing feature that lets you trim videos including MKV.
I just can't tell if there's any degradation in quality though.

A Blu-ray player that won't recognize NTFS seems a little weird when it's expected that high-definition videos will definitely be more than 4GB in file size.

#6 steveh8204

steveh8204
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2011 - 09:21 AM

In all fairness it does recognize MKVs except when I've converted them myself.

The two examples I can think of are one WMV I converted with Freemake (into an MKV) and an MKV I split with MKVMergeGUI.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users