Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

locked harddrive no password

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mr.teebs

mr.teebs

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:24 PM

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:49 AM

i have an old dell latitude D400 laptop for testing new linux distros when i got it it had no os and booted to a white screen saying,This computer system. #4B7Q031-595B, is protected by a password authentication system.you cannot access data on this computer with out the correct password. the problem is i have no password and have no way to get one ,i have though booted gOS on it today but turned it off and it was unable to boot agin any help on how to completly restart hard drive or somehow take off the password would be greatly appreciated thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ken-B

Ken-B

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:40 AM

Hi,

I am not sure what the policy here is regarding assistance with passwords.
I do know on the other sites I help out on that because it is impossible to know that you are actually the rightful owner...
(no accusations here at all).....assistance with by-passing passwords is politely refused.
I am assuming that the same applies here.

I am sure a moderator will confirm this one way or another :)

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 PM

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:53 AM

See http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&docid=52016&doclang=en&l=en&s=gen&cs= .

Like the legal enforcement authorities...we presume innocent until proven guilty :).

Unless circumstances are obvious that the user is in a questionable status.

Google is great for finding such information, you just have to ask the question.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users