Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Overclocking i7 965 CPU

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 wjason777

wjason777

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:52 PM

I have a Intel i7 965 3.2 cpu and I would like to overclock it the furthis it will go without adding any additional hardware or damaging anything. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 01 November 2011 - 08:22 PM

Well, it is an "Extreme Edition" most likely, so multipliers are unlocked. QPI already runs fast on that (6.4) so depending on board, it will be easier/less hassle to bump multipliers first to see what the CPU is capable of. Stock cooling will be pressed even with no voltage increase on an overclocked CPU. Main thing, keep the memory timing/QPI stock at first while you see what the CPU is capable of. Later, if you decide to, you can bump BCLOCK, and tweek memory timings like the rest of us with I7 920s have had to do from day one.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/i7-c0-d0,2386-5.html Just one. Lots of guides out there. Main thing I will stress is cooling. A top flight air cooler, or water cooling is needed. Speedfan http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php and Intel burn test http://downloads.guru3d.com/downloadget.php?id=2047&file=1&evp=c124b204b68596fcc99d0f9f96c3bb65 are your friends.

Let me know when you hit 4ghz.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

#3 wjason777

wjason777
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:23 PM

So pretty much I can overclock it to 4.0 with stock fan?

#4 dpunisher

dpunisher

• BC Advisor
  • 2,234 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:08 PM

Posted 03 November 2011 - 06:33 AM

So pretty much I can overclock it to 4.0 with stock fan?

No.......................unless your ambient is below freezing.

I am a retired Ford tech. Next to Fords, any computer is a piece of cake. (The cake, its not a lie)

3770K @4.5, Corsair H100, GTX780, 16gig Samsung, Obsidian 700 (yes there is a 700)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users