Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

(Code 39) in ports

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 gibble2

gibble2

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 PM

Posted 01 November 2011 - 07:19 PM

I have been working for several weeks to remove the Code 39 error on my lpt and com ports. I used driver update and driver detective to insure all drivers are up to date. This problem started when the computer lost power while using the parallel port. It is definatly a software issue since when I restored the image to a known good machine, the error remained. I suspect it is related to currentcontrolset/enum. I have deleted all referenced to lpt1 in the registry and rebooted, but the error came back. I have disabled the ports in the BIOS and rebooted windows and back again but no good. I have reset the upper filters in the registry. I tried to repair windows with a slipstreamed sp3 disk but that caused a BSOD. I have scanned the comptuer with Malwarebytes, AVG and Combofix.

The event log shows: The Parallel port driver service failed to start due to the following error:
The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it.

Changed the port start type to 1,2,3,4 in: HKLM\system\currentcontrolset\services\parport

The chipset is: i915P/i915G; Southbridge is 82801FB (ICH6); the computer is a Dell GX280 with A08 BIOS. The graphics controller is Intel 82915G/GV/910GL Express; The CPU is Intel Pentium 4 520. The OS is XP SP3 with all the updates installed.

Any ideas? Due to the large amount of software on this computer I cannot afford to format the hard disk.

Edited by gibble2, 01 November 2011 - 08:40 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 01 November 2011 - 09:27 PM

Hi gibble2 -
This is the way Microsoft explains your Code 39 error message.

Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)Cause
There are several causes of Code 39 errors:
  • A required device driver is missing.
  • A required binary file is corrupted.
  • There is a problem with the file I/O process.
  • A driver that is referencing an entry point in another binary file is unable to load.
Recommended resolution

Reinstall the drivers for this device.

Uninstall and reinstall the driver

Uninstall the driver from Device Manager, and then scan for new hardware to install the driver again. (Use the Makers site where you can)

You may be prompted to provide the path of the driver. Windows may have the driver built-in, or may still have the driver files installed from the last time that you set up the device. However, sometimes, it will open the New Hardware Wizard which may ask for the driver. If you are asked for the driver and you do not have it, you can try to download the latest driver from the hardware vendorís Web site.
  • On the device Properties dialog box, click the Driver tab, and then click Uninstall. Follow the instructions.
  • Restart your computer.
  • Open Device Manager, click Action, and then click Scan for hardware changes. Follow the instructions.
Hope this helps -
Regards -

#3 gibble2

gibble2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2011 - 10:28 AM

Well there you have it! Lets see:

Recommended resolution

Reinstall the drivers for this device.
I have two non working devices: lpt1 and com1:
- In device manager, I have tried to "reinstall", i.e. update the driver??? which says you cannot continue since MICROSOFT cannot find a better match for the driver

Uninstall and reinstall the driver
- Would that be to uninstall and add new hardware or is this just a repeat of the above? However, to uninstall and add new hardware results in, guess what, code 39.

Uninstall the driver from Device Manager, and then scan for new hardware to install the driver again. (Use the Makers site where you can)- really!!! I have searched MICROSOFT's site for Parport.sys and ParVdm.sys and found NOTHING! (Results for: "parport.sys" Sorry, we could not find any results on Download Center.) But I did find some files for windows 3.1. I thought MICROSOFT was dropping support for XP. ha ha ha. Maybe MICROSOFT should take their own advice!!!

- Oh my, now we are at the last chance resolution which looks strangely similar to the first two. So here we go, unistall the devices and scan for new devices and we are back to the code 39.

MICROSOFT IS WRONG!

And then there is this pesky hidden device called ParVdm with a code 24.

Microsoft should take some more computer training themselves. Maybe they should hire the people who wrote this code!

Edited by gibble2, 02 November 2011 - 10:36 AM.

#4 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 02 November 2011 - 12:29 PM

open start /run ,and in run type with out the "" sfc /scannow , to get windows to check for missing and corrupt system file, note there is a space between c and / .
you may or may not need you winxp disk in the cd drive to run system file checker

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#5 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:57 PM

I have tried to "reinstall", i.e. update the driver??? which says you cannot continue since MICROSOFT cannot find a better match for the driver

Hi again -
First thing to learn is never to just hit the "update driver" tab, and let M/soft find a driver (which I believe is what you are doing).
You must visit the site of your Video card maker and any other problem devices. M/soft will only find a "reasonable match" for you.

"""I have tried to "reinstall", i.e. update the driver??? which says you cannot continue since MICROSOFT cannot find a better match for the driver"""
Microsoft may never find a "better match" as it is operating at this time. Microsoft only finds a better match when it is a last resort -

""Reinstall the drivers for this device."" <<-- This means to Uninstall the Drivers, not the Device that may be causing problems, and Reinstall the latest Drivers.

Also have you run sfc /scannow (as from caperjac) and inserted your own XP CD while the program runs (also a chkdsk /r may be needed)

And, Please don't blame me, as I only attempted to research your problem, and find the "better" matching answer on the internet in 10 mins - -

Thank You -

#6 caperjac

caperjac

• Members
  • 1,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:44 PM

Posted 02 November 2011 - 06:26 PM

it it were mine i would find latest motherboard chipset drives and install them ,actually i would reinstall a fresh copy of windows it was mine

My answers are my opinion only,usually

#7 noknojon

noknojon

• Banned
  • 10,871 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:37 PM

With the amount of problems, and your response of MICROSOFT IS WRONG!,
I think I now agree with caperjac, unless you get a Much better reply !!

#8 gibble2

gibble2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:40 AM

Thanks all for your replies, I have never had much luck with SFC. I have inserted my slipstreamed Dell SP3 cd in the drive but still get the message: The CD you provided is the wrong CD. Please insert the Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 CD into your CD-ROM drive. Is there a different procedure to create the Dell XP Pro SP3 slipstreamed CD?

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,384 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 03 November 2011 - 09:58 AM

IIRC...OEM disks are not designed to be slipstreamed.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/slipstreaming-windows-xp-to-create-bootable-cd/ , see First Steps, item #1.

Louis

#10 gibble2

gibble2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:12 AM

Now that I have the slipstream disk as per above, when I run SFC /SCANNOW I still get the message: "The CD you provided is the wrong CD. Please insert the Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3 CD into your CD-ROM drive." I thought SFC was looking for the CD label which is WXPCCP_EN. What version is it looking for? I have observed that explorer.exe ver is 6.0.2900.5512 XPSP.080413-2105. Starting windows in Safe Mode shows Build 2600.XPSP_SP3_GDR.10129-1647:Service Pack 3

#11 gibble2

gibble2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2011 - 11:06 AM

Well now I have been able to successfully run SFC /SCANNOW which ran to completion with no errors. But after uninstalling the port devices and rebooting I still get the error: Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)
Am I certain that successful completion of SFC /SCANNOW means that the drivers are NOT missing or corrupt?

Edited by gibble2, 11 November 2011 - 11:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users