Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

NTDLR Error

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 tryhard

tryhard

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 01 November 2011 - 05:34 PM

Hi Guys

I was doing the annual spring clean on my desktop tower, clearing out the dust and cobwebs from inside and a general tidy up and after plugging enverything back in place I cannot get past the ntdlr error. Opened the machine up again and noticed that I had knocked off the power lead to the sata drive, so I replaced that, but still coming up with the same error message.

Any thoughts on this ? The drive is OK as I have run it on my laptop through a bridge thingy and data on it seems allright.

Cheers

Dave

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 02 November 2011 - 09:46 AM

System manufacturer and model?

What is the exact wording of the error message...and when exactly...does it appear?

Have you tried Last Known Good Configuration?

Can you boot into safe mode?

Louis

#3 tryhard

tryhard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2011 - 03:53 PM

Hi Louis,

Sorry about being so vague, the system is a clone running a ASUS M3A32-MVP motherboard with Samsung SATA HDD. The exact message is as follows, NTLDR is missing Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart. On re-start I get the Asus screen plus the beep then back to the error message.

I dont think that I can get access to safe mode or last known good configuration.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Dave

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2011 - 07:09 PM

Take a look at the following:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-hardware/ntldr-is-missing-on-vista/9dbd22a3-5bc7-4a3b-b659-5a287ee4ba84

ntldr is missing fix with boot floppy, CD, or USB drive, then fix HD - http://tinyempire.com/notes/ntldrismissing.htm

http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000465.htm

Louis

#5 tryhard

tryhard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2011 - 01:04 AM

Hello,

Entered the BIOS and looked at the boot order, but the sata drive is not listed anywhere. What it shows is 1st device, floppy - 2nd device, HDD (ide 40gig secondary)- 3rd device - DVDrom.

Any suggestions?

Dave

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2011 - 10:22 AM

If you have a drive installed...and it's not reflected in the BIOS...then you need to...first, check the connections to said drive...try the drive in another system to see if it is detected there...run the appropriate hard drive diagnostic, available from the website of the hard drive manufacturer.

Your initial post is about an error that is impossible without a hard drive being recognized, along with an existing Windows install. How many hard drives are installed?

Louis

#7 tryhard

tryhard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2011 - 04:45 PM

I have checked the connections of both the hard drives and all seems ok. The main drive which contains the operating system (windows vista) is the drive not being recognised. The second drive is just a small one that I use for data storage and does not contain any operating system.

I have removed the main hdd with operating system from the computer and connected it to my laptop via a bridge and usb connection with a separate power source and it seems to be functioning well and the operating system seems to be intact. I dont have another machine with which I can install this drive to test its integrity.

I find this all very frustrating as the bios still does not recognise the hdd with the operating system. I will go and unplug and replug again and see if this will help.

Dave

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2011 - 05:16 PM

Well...let's not panic yet :).

If the hard drive can be accessed via USB on another system, that's almost as good as being able to install it directly to a motherboard.

You can run the chkdsk /r command on the drive from that system.

How To Run Chkdsk - Graphical Interface , put checks in both options.

You should be able to see, but not move/delete/change any files in your My Documents folder.

Try viewing and moving a few of those files, just as a test.

If any onscreen error messages occur...write down and include in next post.

Then we will see...

Louis

#9 tryhard

tryhard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2011 - 07:46 PM

Really having a problem running chkdsk the disk seems to fade in and out, managed to do a defrag on it and it seems to have settled down a bit and am running chkdsk now (really slow, guess due to usb). Will wait and see what happens.

By the way will be out of internet for couple of days will get back to you as soon as i can.

Dave

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:40 AM

No problem, keep us posted :).

FWIW: When chkdsk has problems, it is often indicative of a hard drive or partition/file system problem.

Louis

#11 tryhard

tryhard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2011 - 03:25 PM

g'day mate, back on deck. Now I ran the chkdsk command after a bit of trouble getting it to settle down. A couple of times it would start then just dissapear. I gave the cables a little riggle and the drive came back up, after I ran the defrag command it ran the chkdsk without a problem although it did take some time.

Anyway the scan is now complete and did not come up with any errors, so I am a little confused, should I try to re-install the hdd ?. Also I was able to get access to files, move some files and delete some file on the hdd without any problems.

Dave

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:14 PM

Something warrants further work...your comment about jiggling the cables is not a good sign.

If the cables to a hard drive are loose, it can cause problems regarding access of data on the drive.

If the power cable is loose...it's more of a problem.

I would check the cables you mentioned...for tight fit and specify exactly what cables you previously manipulated.

Louis

#13 tryhard

tryhard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:23 PM

Sorry about being so vague again, I was referring to the USB bridge to my laptop. As I said when I first connected the hdd via the usb the disk faded out a couple of times, I dont know if this was a problem with the drive or how I connected the drive to the laptop. The cables I manipulated were in fact the power to disk, the sata cable and the usb to laptop connection.

Anyway, I reconnected the usb to the laptop and re-ran the chkdsk command and there were no further issues.

I will replace the hdd into the computer and switch on and let you know how it goes.

Dave

#14 tryhard

tryhard
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2011 - 08:21 PM

Great news, the hdd is back in the computer and is working fine, dunno what the hell went wrong. Searched through my gear and found a spare sata cable and plugged it in a spare port (sata4). Think the old one can go in the bin.

Went into the bios and the disk was at last recognised although disabled for some reason and was being shown as the 4th master in the main menu. I moved to the boot menu and set it as the first boot device, restarted the computer and it seems to be working ok. Oddly though the device manager re-installed both hdd's, the mouse and keyboard.

Am currently running a virus and adware scan and when complete will run chkdsk again now it is on a motherboard.

Thankyou so much for all your help in this matter, although I am still confused as to what went wrong the thing and hopefully it doesn't happen again.

Cheers

Dave

#15 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,556 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:23 AM

If it appears solved for the time being, good job by you :).

If problems reapppear, just post to this topic.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users