Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video/Auido Conversion

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 cooldudenz

cooldudenz

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:32 AM

Posted 01 November 2011 - 04:55 PM

Hi thanks for taking the time to read this.

What I am trying to do is play video files on my TV via SDcard (as it has no USB ports) Ive tried a lot of formats including MPEG-2 PS format which is named in the manual, however I believe it is still the wrong codec.

I don't have a great understanding of video editing so if someone can advise me that would be very helpful, I have converted my avi file to lots of different formats. DVD, MPEG-2 PS, MPEG-4, vob, mov, wmv and others.

My TV is a TH-P50X20Z. The manual is very hard to find online and it doesn't appear that I can upload it to this forum so ill type out the related stuff below. And any other information that I think might be helpful.

I am currently at work and can't remember the name of the program I'm using to convert, one is Procoder 3. The other is something all in one video converter which has ALOT of format options. But I doubt either of these are what I need so any software I might need please advise.

The SD card is FAT format and works to show images on the TV.

A couple of things to note,
It states data modified with a PC may not be displayed.
The card may become unusable with this TV if the file or folder names are changed. (Do I need to make use of the folder setup created by the camera?)

Any more information required please ask.

Also I found this link which may help but I don't really understand it.
Wiki

Regards
Neil

Manual

Data format for Card browsing
● Photo : Still images recorded with digital still cameras compatible with JPEG files of DCF* and
EXIF standards
Data format - Baseline JPEG (Sub-sampling 4:4:4, 4:2:2 or 4:2:0)
Image resolution - 8 8 to 30,719 17,279 pixels
● Video : SD-Video Standard Ver. 1.2 [MPEG-2 (PS format)] and AVCHD Standard compatible files
with an audio format that is either MPEG-1/Layer-2 format or Dolby Digital format
(A modified data with a PC may not be displayed correctly.)
● Music : Data format - MP3 (.mp3)
● Card format : S DXC Card - exFAT
SDHC Card / SD Card - FAT16 or FAT32

● Format the card with the recording equipment.
● The picture may not appear correctly on this TV depending on the recording equipment used.
● Display may take some time when there are many files and folders.
● This function cannot display Motion JPEG and still image not JPEG formatted (i.e. TIFF, BMP).
● A data modified with a PC may not be displayed.
● Images imported from a PC must be compatible with EXIF (Exchangeable Image File) 2.0, 2.1, and 2.2.
● Partly degraded files might be displayed at a reduced resolution.
● The folder and file names may be different depending on the digital video camera used.
● Do not use two-byte characters or other special codes.
● The card may become unusable with this TV if the file or folder names are changed.

Edited by cooldudenz, 01 November 2011 - 04:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 03 November 2011 - 08:02 AM

Hi cooldudenz! Where is the 'avi' file from? Is it a download from the Internet? Is it a video file produced from a digital camera or camcorder, or produced from a mobile/cellular phone?
If all else fails, hit the reset button.
Posted Image

#3 cooldudenz

cooldudenz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2011 - 02:17 PM

Thanks for the reply FireKracker.

It is a .avi downloaded from the internet

#4 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2011 - 05:23 AM

Personally I think it's the avi file that is at fault. With numerous people uploading files to the Internet the consistency and comparability isn't always paramount. Chances are that the avi file is using a strange encoding CODEC. I see that you've tried to convert the file into different formats but with no luck.

My suggestion is that you either turn the avi file into a DVD movie and play on a DVD player connected to your TV or try using Format Factory a piece of freeware, which I've found very useful when I had some odd file formats which I wanted to convert, this did it no problem.

See how you go and report back mate!
Posted Image

#5 cooldudenz

cooldudenz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2011 - 02:27 PM

Thanks for the reply, I normally plug my computer straight into the TV but it is currently else where, and the PC I'm using is a bit older with no DVD burner.

I can get this program you suggested but I'm still not sure what format to convert to, I thought where the problem was is that even if I burn to MPEG-2 PS the audio is still in the wrong format.

It says in the manual [MPEG-2 (PS format)] with an audio format that is either MPEG-1/Layer-2

Is there software where I can break down the options further to select the video format and also the audio format, and maybe something that will give me detailed details on the files so I can see what CODEC it's encoded in?

Thanks

#6 FireKracker

FireKracker

• Members
  • 484 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2011 - 03:41 PM

OK try this for more information:

1) Load Format Factory
2) Choose VIDEO from the left-hand side of the program window
3) Choose ALL to AVI
4) Now select ADD FILE - locate the file you need to convert

At this point you can find view the 'mediainfo' regarding the file. You'll see 4 small icons: a red cross (remove), a white document with a tiny red cross (clear list), a Windows media player icon (play), ignore these, and choose the last one (media file info) LEFT CLICK on this and a window will appear detailing the file's mediainfo. Once you've read this info return back to the previous screen.

5) Now choose OUTPUT SETTING
6) Here you can alter or choose pre-defined settings for converting your video.

Hope this helps!
Posted Image

#7 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:03 AM

and maybe something that will give me detailed details on the files so I can see what CODEC it's encoded in?

I use these on Win XP, don't know if they'll run on Vista or 7.

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MediaInfo

http://www.videohelp.com/tools/Gspot

don't know if this will help or not, but I use an external HD (NTFS) to store Camcorder videos, MPEG-2, AC3 & VIDEO_TS movie folders, MPEG-2 some with MP2 audio, some AC3, or LPCM. I connect the HD to my LG Blu-ray player with USB, and watch the Videos right from the folder on the HD. There is a slight pause between VOBs, but other than that, it plays fine. Do you have a Blu-ray player with a USB port hooked to your TV? Maybe that would work better.

Edited by 12x48y, 08 November 2011 - 07:20 AM.

#8 peblo

peblo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 12 November 2011 - 06:26 AM

hi my mum is having her screen show nom image just different colours coming up on the screen, anyone got any suggestions on what this could be?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users