Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Recovery AGAIN??

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 Claytronic

Claytronic

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:21 AM

I was downloading a supposed legit trial copy of Windows CS4 from a website when someone told me "don't do it! it's a virus!" and I panicked as it was like 80% done installing on my computer, so I cancelled it and deleted all traces of it. Later on the person who told me that said they were joking and just wanted to scare me, and that the download was fine.

I then went to the Adobe website and decided to download the CS5 trial right from the website and as it was taking a long time, decided to take a nap.
I wake up to find it done installing but Spybot is open and scanning, saying it has found "Detected Registry Value for "Fraud.WindowsRecovery"

Christ. Not again. The thing is, my laptop doesn't look as borked and angry as it did the first time I got Windows Recovery so I'm not too sure what's going on here. Can anybody please tell me?

After Spybot is done scanning I will scan with MalwareBytes.
Please note, that I do have backups on disks of my computer so if I need to restore to a certain point or something to get rid of it, I can do so.

Any help would be EXTREMELY appreciated. Thank you

EDIT: Here is a pic of what Spybot found. The rest was just tracking cookies which I don't care about.
http://i44.tinypic.com/2rnued0.png

EDIT 2: I clicked "Fix Found" on Spybot and I don't really know if it did anything, it just added a green checkmark to the beginning of each of the things it found, so I'm assuming it took care of it.

Quick scan on Malwarebytes came up clean.

Edited by Claytronic, 01 November 2011 - 10:43 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Artrooks

Artrooks

• Members
  • 1,463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:58 AM

Hello Claytronic,

My recommendation would be to post in the Am I Infected Forum? to definitively rule out any other infections, then deal with the Adobe issue after.

When responding, let the forum know about this post and please adhere to the Forum Rules.

Forum Rules:

When posting your problem, do not run and post a ComboFix log. ComboFix is a tool that should only be run under the supervision of someone who has been trained in its use. Using it on your own can cause problems with your computer. Any posts containing CF Logs will be ignored.

To receive help, you should instead provide a detailed description of your problem, detailed word-for-word error messages that you are receiving, screenshots of strange behaviour, and your operating system. This information is much more useful to our helpers than a ComboFix log

Regards,
Brooks

#3 Claytronic

Claytronic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 PM

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:01 AM

Hello Claytronic,

My recommendation would be to post in the Am I Infected Forum? to definitively rule out any other infections, then deal with the Adobe issue after.

When responding, let the forum know about this post and please adhere to the Forum Rules.

Forum Rules:

When posting your problem, do not run and post a ComboFix log. ComboFix is a tool that should only be run under the supervision of someone who has been trained in its use. Using it on your own can cause problems with your computer. Any posts containing CF Logs will be ignored.

To receive help, you should instead provide a detailed description of your problem, detailed word-for-word error messages that you are receiving, screenshots of strange behaviour, and your operating system. This information is much more useful to our helpers than a ComboFix log

Ah, I apologize! I was in a bit of a panic, but I will post in the Am I Infected forums.

Thanks!

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:36 PM

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:11 AM

Closef has AII topic and will reply there.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users